Hi, I'm looking for iMac recommendations.

robmurray
robmurray Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I'm looking to replace my current (windows) desktop. Is anyone running HitFilm Express on an Apple iMac 27-inch Retina 5K, if so how would you rate it? I'm presuming it's superb, but would like to check before spending a small fortune. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,300 Moderator

@robmurray let me preface this by saying, I’m not a Mac user, but I think they’re great systems... no knocking against them.

Macs have a couple disadvantages when it comes to running HitFilm, but the most notable one is that they do not (as of yet) support GPU hardware decoding. If you use AVC media (the vast majority of cameras do), then you will not be getting the greatest performance. A Windows PC with the same specs would likely perform better due to the hardware decoding.

If you insist on a Mac though, the best performer for HitFilm might just be the 27 in iMac. It may even perform better than the Mac Pro or iMac Pro, since HitFilm is more designed with “consumer” hardware in mind (such as the i9) rather than “server” hardware like Xeon in the Pro models. Which spec were you looking to get?

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador

I just got a new Mac mini not long ago, and it works beautifully with HitFilm. Part of that might be due to the amount of RAM (32GB), and part may be due to the solid-state drive. I always transcode before editing, so that definitely helps with performance, but the few times I've tossed a non-transcoded file into HitFilm, the performance was excellent.

One advantage that this Mac has is the T2 chip, which has some video encoding tech as part of its design. Exporting video is way faster than my old system. Transcoding files in Handbrake is also very peppy.

Even though it isn't the all-in-one design of the iMac, this Mac mini is proving to be (for me at least) quite a powerhouse machine when it comes to working in HitFilm.