Vegas Post 18 vs Vegas Pro, HitFilm Pro, Ignite Pro, Imerge Pro?

JohnFoll
JohnFoll Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*
edited October 2020 in HitFilm

What are the differences between Vegas Post 18 vs Vegas Pro, HitFilm Pro, Ignite Pro, Image Pro? I currently Own Vegas Pro 18 Suite (and older version) and Ignite Pro.  I read that HitFilm Pro has integrations for Vegas. If I buy HitFilm Pro and Image Pro (I already own Ignite Pro), what will I be missing that Vegas Post 18 has?  I learned in one of the fxhome community forums that HitFilm Pro comes with Mocha HitFilm which is not available in Vegas Effects. If I want everything that both FXHome products provide and  Vegas Pro, do I have to buy both? I should probably try the new version of HitFilm Pro trial to see what it does. When I use an application I don't usually know  everything that it does, but figure out what I need to know at a later date as I need it. I will not know everything that can be done and may miss out one some really  cool stuff if I don't get a general background on it. I am trying to plan my purchases out. I think I was planning on buying HitFilm Pro with the hopes that with Ignite Pro, it would get my closer to Vegas Post without having to outlay so much money at once. I still may go that way, but need Image Pro too now. I didn't think I needed  Image Pro, since I own CorelDraw/Paint and CorelPainter, but I think now that I need it too, since it would speed up development of videos and have non-destructive editing I think.)  

Is the Vega Post 18 upgrade, that is about the same price as HitFilm Pro + Image Pro maybe - will that give me the same functionality and integration as HitFilm Pro + Ignite Pro + Image Pro? I may not be getting an upgrade discount for Vegas Post from Thanskgiving to Christmas this year, unless Magix decides to give it. Not sure what will happen. If I buy HitFilm Pro + Image Pro doesn't that basically give me the same functionality as Vegas Post 18 (since I already own Ignite Pro)? Does Vegas Post 18  have better integration with FxHome products than just buying HitFilm Pro + Ignite Pro + Image Pro to use with Vegas Pro 18? I want it all for the best price and to have deep integration between them to save time.

I also have the free version of Davinci Resolve and may get Fusion 16. (Yea, I want all of the best Video editing and composting tools for the PC, but not using Adobe

Premier or after effects, etc.) I also am big into CorelDraw/Paint 2020 and Corel Painter 2020 and older versions of each. And want to learn or use Blender.

I hope that someone who works at FXHome.com company will respond with a definitive answer to this. Thanks!

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

Ok, I'm seeing this literally just before I go to bed for the night, but I'll jump in with the detailed answer when I get back up.

The short answer is that Hitfilm and Vegas EFFECTS are 95% identical and Imerge and Vegas IMAGE are 99% identical, and Ignite takes effects filters that already exist in Hitfilm/Vegas EFFECTS and lets you use them directly in Vegas without opening the other program.

But it's those little differences that make it a longer answer than I'm willing to type up right now. I have a meeting in under 7 hours, so I'm already not gonna get enough sleep. I'll be back.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

Hi @JohnFoll are you seeking an answer to this question?

• Triem23

Ok, here we go. We can ignore the core Vegas Pro editor itself, mostly. Vegas is Vegas and it's awesome.

Hitfilm vs Vegas Effects: Vegas Effects is basically Hitfilm without an Editor Timeline (Vegas is your Editor Timeline). Otherwise they are functionally nearly identical, and their project files are interchangeable - although they use different extensions. The advantage of Vegas Effects is it's optimized to have an integration pipeline with Vegas. Long term HF/Vegas users know when a new version of HF comes out there's a lag period where integration breaks - HF 15.1 does not properly integrate with Vegas 18. Presumably the next update will fix that, but when does the next HF release? Vegas Effects always integrates with Vegas. Vegas does not read HF pre-renders. I believe Vegas reads Vegas Effects pre-renders. @TheBenNorris can you confirm that? The disadvantage of Vegas Effects is new effects filters and features develop in HF first, then port to Vegas Effects. Vegas Post does NOT come with Mocha Hitfilm, Foundry Camera Tracker or the BCC 3D objects unit. Those are third party add-ons licensed specifically for Hitfilm. The Mocha Pro OFX plug in interfaces with Vegas and Vegas Effects. The BCC OFX units interface with Vegas and, while Boris doesn't say so, I'm told BCC runs in Vegas Effects as well. Foundry isn't available for Vegas Effects. Since Mocha does cam solves one can argue Foundry is redundant.

Vegas Image vs Imerge: basically the same program, but Imerge doesn't directly integrate with Vegas. For keeping image composites open and "Live" in Vegas - at full 32-bit depth - Vegas Image is your friend. From Imerge you have to render a flattened final. Like HF I think Imerge gets new features first, then the port to Vegas Image. @DanielOxer can you confirm?

Ignite Pro: it's the same filters as in Hitfilm, but, since they run directly in Vegas you can apply them in Vegas without round tripping to HF or VE. If you just want a lens flare or fractal noise or displacement effect, or something, this is a time saver. Ignite also runs in Resolve.

I can't definitely answer which is the best option for you, but I hope this breakdown is helpful.

• DanielOxer
    DanielOxer Staff Posts: 28 Staff

With regards to VEGAS Image vs Imerge, @Triem23 is pretty much correct.

Imerge is yet to have the same direct integration with VEGAS Pro, which VEGAS Image has.

In terms of features, currently Imerge has batch exporting and printing support whereas VEGAS Image does not. Apart from that they are the same. Imerge will generally get the features first, and VEGAS Image will get the shortly after. Typically there isn't much time where Imerge and VEGAS Image don't have the same features.

• JohnFoll

Sorry for not getting back to you. I am still researching related issues to this. I wanted know also that if I bought HitFilm Pro if I could use the BCC units included with it. I found out that Mocha wasn't showing up in Vegas, but today I found out if I copy the mochaHitFilm6.ofx.bundle folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\HitFilmPro to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins folder that Vegas could use mochaHitFilm6. I also need to know if I can use the BCC Units. I already have some of them in Vegas and had installed the trial version of BCC. But I expect I might be able to use the HitFilmPro version inside of Vegas too (if they are registered.) But I may buy BCC before HitFilm Pro to be on the safe side now that their 2021 version of BCC is out now. I really need Title Studio. I was wanting to get started using the HitFilm version of Title Studio, and then upgrade to their newer full version later with bug fixes. I had noticed some issues with Title Studio. But now that their 2021 version is out that solves that problem I hope - no reason to wait to get BCC.

But so far, I cant use any of the Boris FX BCC or Mocha inside of HitFilm Pro trials. Don't now why. They are installed in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\HitFilmPro folder.

• JohnFoll

Thanks for your detailed answer. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this. I already own Ignite Pro - its cool. Now I am not sure I should buy HitFilm Pro or IMerge Pro but go to with Vegas post. I plan on buying BCC fairly soon because I want the full version. Title Studio is something VERY high on my list. I own the basic version of NewBlueFx Tilter Pro 7, a recent purchase and want to upgrade to the Ultimate Version. Putting words on the screen with animations are very crucial to me, since I am a blogger who is looking to make YouTube videos. I want to emphasize some words or points and have some cool wiz bang animations. So the Titling are very important to me. I also am buying some of the Vegasuar Vegas Templates for lower thirds and other transitions and screen moving thingies. That is why the BCC 3D Unit with its Title Studio is critical for me.

I was wondering how Imerge Pro could be used with Vegas - now you answered that I that I can use it in Vegas if I own Vegas Post. I was left with a dilemma in September 2020 or whenever whether I should buy Vegas Post or Vegas Pro Suite. I looked at the the Suite and didn't want to do without all of its goodies, so I bought that thinking I could also upgrade to Vegas Post or buy HitFilmPro and Imerge Pro later. I love the Vegas editor. Even though I have owned different versions of Vegas for years, I hadn't used many of its features mostly, until I started to dig into its new features now that I really need them. If I can use Imerge via Vegas Post directly in Vegas that would be sweet!

• JohnFoll

Is it possible to use both Vegas Post and HitFilmPro and Imerge on the same computer without having to have a multi boot or virtual machine?

Sounds to me that this might be the best of all worlds.

• JohnFoll

Is Vegas Pro functionality fully in Vegas Post, or is there somethings that were not brought over?

• Triem23

It's literally the three programs that work together. Vegas Edit, Effects and Image. Plus whatever other bundle you might get.