Karate Kid: Whose team are you on?

FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,126 Ambassador

Have you watched all of Cobra Kai? Whose team are you on... Miyagi-Do or Cobra-Kai? Vote now and add your comment as to why.

Caution: Possible Spoilers in the comments section, so be careful if you have not seen the entire series yet!

Karate Kid: Whose team are you on? 12 votes

Miyagi-Do
50%
tddavisMarshall2000_uktomkane18Hi_VFXgeorgefilmltdphilipwesson 6 votes
Cobra-Kai
50%
FilmSenseiHictorndpproductionsDibsMcCallumTheBenNorrishannahodebode 6 votes
ยซ1

Comments

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 1,447 Staff
    Cobra-Kai

I've only seen S1 (twice now!) but really liked how it showed a lot of the events from the original film but from a different perspective. I was rooting for Cobra Kai the entirety of S1 up until the final episode, and from what I've heard/seen of S2 the show begins to portray Cobra Kai as "bad" again, especially with (spoilers!) Hawk being instructed by Kreese.

I think the main reason I was rooting for CK was because I was really hoping to see Sensei Lawrence become a better person, which he does! But unfortunately the seeds of "No Mercy" have already been sown, ultimately making the new generation of students "the bad guys" again.

I'd like to root for Miyagi-Do, but for some reason I still don't trust Robbie, maybe it's because he never really did anything to redeem his bad actions at the start.

• DibsMcCallumDibsMcCallum Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 120 Staff
    Cobra-Kai

100% Cobra Kai

You learn how much a wrong-un Daniel LaRusso was in the film, the original story did not portray that (well not to my young and Innocent eyes in the 80s) and it interesting to it from the other side. Two sides to every story as they say

Johnny is trying to make something of his life and do the right thing, he even try to teach that.. It is sad that he was a a bit of a victim of life and I think he will manage to start making the positive changes with Cobra Kai in season 3 (I hope)

• philipwessonphilipwesson Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 70 Staff
    Miyagi-Do

Wow, kinda the outlier here...

BRING IT, COBRAS!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 17,779 Ambassador

Never seen Cobra Kai, but @DibsMcCallum my friends and I have, for a long time, been adherents to the "Daniel is the bad guy" theory. Cocky dude starts showing up in down, trying to be all tough cuz he read his book... Halloween... Well, it was hard to get weed in the 80's. If he'd just let Johnny and friends smoke their joint in peace the rest of the movie wouldn't happen. At the end of the movie, Johnny even gives Daniel a "You're all right, LaRusso!" Of course Daniel spends the whole film stealing Johnny's GF only to... Bresk up a month later between films?

We broke this down LONG before "How I Met Your Mother" went there.

Yeah, Johnny and friends aren't bad kids. Kreese is a bad influence, but that's Kreese. Even the students look a bit aghast at Kreese's "sweep the leg." And Bobby apologizes for his. They're just dumb teens who got saddled with a PTSD Sensei who doesn't understand "Avoid rather than check, check rather than harm, harm rather than maim, maim rather than kill."

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,126 Ambassador
    Cobra-Kai

I never thought I would say it, but I am also on Team Cobra-Kai.

@TheBenNorris You will definitely enjoy S2.

@DibsMcCallum You have nailed it right there. Cobra-Kai shows how the same event can be interpreted from two different perspectives, and both sides can feel that they are on the right side.

@philipwesson You are entitled to have an opinion... even if it's wrong! JK! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜œ

@Triem23 Your analysis is spot on, even though it's obvious you are clearly biased because you are a youth from Southern California. ๐Ÿ˜‚ If you can, you you should watch Cobra-Kai. It is surprisingly good. Each season has ten episodes, and each episode is ~30 minutes or less.

• georgefilmltdgeorgefilmltd Website User Posts: 127 Enthusiast
    edited September 17
    Miyagi-Do

Haven't seen Cobra Kai, but from the movies, Miyagi-Do all the way!

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,126 Ambassador
    Cobra-Kai

@georgefilmltd Vote in the poll... Miyagi-Do needs all the voted they can get! ๐Ÿ˜

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 1,447 Staff
    Cobra-Kai

@FilmSensei we started season 2 last night finally, this thread gave us the incentive to do so!

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 321 Enthusiast
    Cobra-Kai

I still haven't watched the show, but I am one of the theorists who believed the other party to be "misundersood."

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 17,779 Ambassador

Jay, I wasn't gonna give Youtube the $$$ for Youtube Red, but, since it's on Netflix now...

I'm not biased from being a Cali kid, I'm biased because, over three movies Daniel continues to be kind of a jerk. Remember, the first movie is him stealing Johnny's GF. The movie ends in May. The second movie is July and Daniel's broken up with Johhny's ex and has a new love interest. The third movie is actually that fall... And Daniel has another love interest. Oh, they downplayed it because Ralph Macchio was so much older than his 16 year old co-star, but Daniel's inability to form a relationship indicates other issues. Plus he's whinier than Luke Skywalker wanting to go the Academy. I don't WANNA defend my title! I don't WANNA (anything). It's horrible to say but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a wife-beater in Cobra Kai!

Cobra-Kai

@Triem23 You'll have to watch Cobra-Kai and see! I still think you just have a beef against Jersey kids. Did a kid from Jersey steal your GF back in the day? Lol! ๐Ÿคฃ

BTW, just to set the record straight, Allie dumped Daniel to date a UCLA football player. Daniel states this to Mr. Miyagi in Karate Kid 2.

@TheBenNorris I hope you like it... I know that me and my family did!

Jay, in the 80's Jersey hadn't become...

...yet...

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 3,940 Moderator
    Miyagi-Do

@FilmSensei @Triem23 I have not watched the new shows, and probably won't. This is an example of the revisionism I ranted about recently that I find abhorrent. In the movie, it was clear that Johnny and his crew were the aggressors and you cant suddenly claim stuff happened that we didn't see so the picture changes. That can happen in real life but not reel life. Its just disingenuous storytelling otherwise.

Cobra-Kai

@tddavis the show does a pretty good job of using actual clips from the original movies to tell the story from Johnny's perspective, and I'd imagine they're probably the same clips that make @Triem23 see Daniel as such a bad guy.

Miyagi-Do

@TheBenNorris Possibly true, but I cannot see how :) There has to be added footage or exposition somewhere??

Cobra-Kai

@tddavis I understand where you are coming from. Having seen the new series, I would say that it is not so much revisionism as it is showing the same event from a different perspective. There is no retconning going on. In Cobra Kai, the story continues forward, showing how the lives of those involved have progressed since that event. The characters have changed over time... hence the question of what team you are on now. Back in the day, there was never any question. Now, however, in the new show, it is not as black and white as it was in the original movies. I think given that you are an intelligent, forward thinking person, you would really enjoy the show!

edited September 17
    Miyagi-Do

@FilmSensei I may...may...give it a shot at some point since you're going to twist my arm ๐Ÿ˜ (If I knew the name of a martial arts move similar I would have used it there)

Cobra-Kai

@tddavis In Brazilian Jiu Jitsu we call twisting one's arm a Kimura. It is named after Masahiko Kimura who was a Japanese judoka (Judo practitioner) who is widely considered one of the greatest judoka of all time. In Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the Gyaku Ude-Garami (reverse arm lock... or arm twisting) is called the "Kimura" after him due to his famous victory over Gracie jiu-jitsu founder Hélio Gracie using the technique.

Miyagi-Do

Gotta do karate the right and respectful way ๐Ÿ˜œ

Miyagi-Do

@FilmSensei I knew there had to be an official name for it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Omg! I would never have recognized you.

Miyagi-Do

Wait what that's Jay?! I actually thought it was Ralph Macchio! ๐Ÿคฃ

Cobra-Kai

This one's for @Triem23 due to his love of muppets!

• Marshall2000_ukMarshall2000_uk Website User Posts: 121 Enthusiast
    edited September 19
    Miyagi-Do

I'm rooting for everyone. there's balance there somewhere but they all need to find it. Just love how the show shows that no ones perfect. Love it.

To anyone saying Daniel is the bad guy (and being serious) in the film, re-watch it. Cobra Kai cuts the beach scene to make it look bad from Daniels side, he doesn't just punch him in the noise after a shove. Also Johnny and Alli have already split up and Johnny doesn't respect her decision. Daniel's not perfect but he does get bullied... Kreese is the bad guy and teaches his students the wrong way. Even when Daniel decides to get some revenge (soaks Johnny in the toilet) their basically gonna kill him (with the exception of Bobby). Johnny is a bully but has redeemable features coz he's not completely bad and by the end he's realised Kreese is bad news and congratulates Daniel on his victory, this is why they can do what they do with Johnny in the series.

Can't wait for season 3.... 4 & 5 ๐Ÿคฃ

I voted Miyagi Do coz the Cobra Kai way is wrong... and as some people haven't seen it all I won't say anymore

Cobra-Kai

@FilmSensei I finished Season 2 and now I want to change my answer. I quite agree with @Marshall2000_uk above. Kreese's Cobra Kai is wrong, ruthless and evil. I think I was rooting for Johnny's Cobra Kai in the hopes of seeing it change, but now I'm actually just rooting for Daniel and Johnny to be friends. SO many moments where it looks like they're gonna finally be buddies.

Cobra-Kai

@TheBenNorris I hope you enjoyed S2! I agree with you, I am all for Johnny changing Cobra Kai for the better! One of the best scenes was when Daniel and Johnny are driving down the street listening to an old 80's songs and bobbing their heads to the beat. :)

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 321 Enthusiast
    Cobra-Kai

OK. I know that we're technically over it, but I just finished the show and here's what I have to say:

That scene where Larusso walks into the elevator and avoids looking Jhonny Lawrence crushed me.

That being said, I hope Season 3 is the last.

Netflix can't possibly milk this for another 3 seasons without utterly destroying it.

@Hictor Don't worry. Netflix won't give it more than one more season. Netflix generally kills all shows after three seasons at most.

Netflix is in the business of attracting new users via new content, not holding onto existing users via continuing content. Netfilx execs have expressed as much publicly.

If you're ever really bored, you can look up how many "Netflix Originals" are actually "Netflix bought this existing show and gave it one last season." Black Mirror comes to mind. It's most of them. In some cases I can think of, Netflix bought a show that had completely finished it's production and initial run and just slapped a "Nexflix Original" on it. Like the Canadian series "Between." Netflix bought the first two seasons, considered producing a third, decided NOT to make a third season.... The whole show is labelled as a "Netflix Original." Which would be like if I downloaded your videos, gave you a few bucks, then slapped my logo at the beginning of all of them and re-uploaded them.

Cobra-Kai

@Hictor @Triem23 I agree. I believe that Season 3 will be the last. Youtube decided not to pick it up for the third season, so Netflix snapped it up. Personally, I think it's a smart move by Netflix, and it's a win for Youtube as well as the creator, William Zabka and Ralph Macchio. The show is surprisingly good. On Youtube Red it was mostly seen within the martial arts community, and by mostly older people like me who have a fond remembrance of the original Karate Kid from their youth. The vast majority of people never watched it on Youtube. On Netflix, it has seen a huge surge in interest that has expanded well outside of the martial arts community and also to younger demographic fanbase as well. I don't think there is any doubt that the focus of the show has shifted to the younger generation, especially the love triangles among the teenagers that have been well crafted by the writers. I am really looking forward to the third (and hopefully) final season.

Cobra-Kai

@FilmSensei @Triem23 @Hictor it's really interesting to see how it got a surge in popularity after it left YouTube Red, since I don't know a single person that used that platform. I think three seasons would be a good way to end it. That, or they have to do a fourth season with half the main characters missing, and a fifth reboot season about kung fu...