Matte Painting with hitfilm2 express and Blender

Cyreda
Cyreda Website User Posts: 17
edited July 2014 in Practical Filmmaking
I just wanted to share my short work for you and comments are really welcome! Im just learning vfx and i need tips and help. This scene was made with hitfilm 2 express and Blender. I used Blender for rotoscoping everything out on and hitfilm 2 express for making the composite. If i had Ultimate it would be possible to do this just in it, but for now i can work like this.
Comments and tips are really welcome!!
Music made by me.
Final:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4nq9PXP3C8&feature=youtu.be

Old version without any 3d projection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpNDWCnU30

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,974 Ambassador
    Beautifully done! I believed it.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    That looks awesome! To answer your question, yes you could do that effect all in HFU. You would use different techniques, but it could be accomplished. Off the top of my head, these tutorials would give you a starting point.
    http://youtu.be/Xdv0v_of1tg
    http://youtu.be/I8prB4yKhS8
  • Cyreda
    That looks awesome! To answer your question, yes you could do that effect all in HFU. You would use different techniques, but it could be accomplished. Off the top of my head, these tutorials would give you a starting point.

Yeah :). Of course i tried the Ultimate demo, and this whole thing would be really easy to accomblish in ultimate. I would have to make a 3d solve in Blender or mocha (blender gives really accurate 3d ground projection), use 2d tracking to mask a few planes according to the video and animate the mask of the car. Then use that matte with "set matte" and luminance.
    Although now that i can't afford that (yet), i solved the camera with blender, rotoscoped and tracked the background image with it, both with different png sequence. Then i just composited all together, color corrected and added all the light effects in Express.

• Mandalorian
    Mandalorian Website User Posts: 79
    That looks great.  Seems like you're learning VFX at a good pace.
    A couple of things I noticed:
      The antennae on the right car isn't roto'd, and you can see that it gets cut off at the barrier thing.
      It also looks like there is a curve to the roto where the windshield frame and barrier meet just to the right of the antennae.  Is it all one mask or did you use multiple masks?
      Since you're removing the top of the barrier, it would help to add one back in to reflect the sunset and add a little perspective to transition from foreground to background.
      Something that would help make the background more realistic would be some 3d projection such as this.  That would give your background some much needed perspective shift, as right now it looks like it's just a big painting on the wall.
      And obviously you didn't have control of the lighting in this situation, so the lighting doesn't really match, but I'm sure that's something you would have fixed if you could.
    Overall, looks like a fun test.  Keep it up.  :D
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff
    Wow! :) I spent the first part wondering how much of it was fake, and came to the conclusion that you must have changed very little - perhaps the saturation of the sky or the lighting. 
    To see the original clip was VERY impressive. The only thing which became obvious to me after watching it a few times was the reflection in the glass window of the car - but otherwise congratulations on a great test!
    Look forward to seeing what you come up with next. 
  • TimLan635
    TimLan635 Website User Posts: 51 Enthusiast
    Yeah, when I first watched this, I was waiting for a UFO or monster or something to appear.  I hadn't realized that the whole thing was a composite from the start.  Nicely done.

• Cyreda
    edited July 2014
    That looks great.  Seems like you're learning VFX at a good pace.

I actually redid the whole video pretty much according to what you said! I also made better VFX Breakdown sequence. You can watch the new version from up top! :)
    The antenna. I didnt even pay attention to it before you said it. It would have been impossible to roto out without greenscreen, so i just 2d tracked another on it, and i think it looks OK.
    Now the background is not only one plane anymore, there are 3 planes, the sky and the sea, the hill, and the house in the left side. Now you can see a slight perspective shift. I used GIMP to isolate elements.
    I didn't change the barrier because it really would have been pretty hard to do realistic reflection from, so i just didn't. :D
    I also tried to fix the lightning abit. Comments welcome! :)

• Mandalorian
    Mandalorian Website User Posts: 79
    I actually redid the whole video pretty much according to what you said! I also made better VFX Breakdown sequence. You can watch the new version from up top! :)

Wow, that was fast.  And the revisions are very well done.
    Like you said, the antennae is OK.  It looks slightly too thick, but just having it there adds a lot of good integration, so good job on that.
    And you did a really good job on separating and positioning the background.  It feels a lot more natural now.
    I still think adding back the top of the barrier would really help finish this off, but I can understand why you would want to leave that alone for now.  Could be good practice sometime.
    KirstieT also mentioned the reflection in the glass.  It looks fine as is right now, as it doesn't really distract the eye for me, but adding a slight color correction, or even some of the sunset reflection onto or through the glass could go a long way.  That would be a true challenge IMO to get that looking right.  Best of luck if you try it out.  :D
    On a side note, if you haven't deleted it from youtube yet, I think it would be cool to leave all your versions in your first post, just so we can see your progression.  I think it's nice to see how you go from your first attempt through to your last.  It makes it easy to see how much even the smallest changes can make.
    Keep up the great work.

• Cyreda
    On a side note, if you haven't deleted it from youtube yet, I think it would be cool to leave all your versions in your first post, just so we can see your progression.  I think it's nice to see how you go from your first attempt through to your last.  It makes it easy to see how much even the smallest changes can make.

Good idea, i linked it there for comparison.