Hitfilm Express suddenly much slower to export

sloonark
sloonark Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I've been using Hitfilm Express for a few months now. I have been recording mp4s from OBS, doing minimal editing and exporting as mp4 in HF Express. Previously the export would approximately take real time (e.g. a 10 minute video would take around 10 minutes to export).

Now all of a sudden it is taking over three times longer. A 22 minute video took about 90 minutes. Normally this would take around 22 minutes.

I have not changed any settings.

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core CPU and a Radeon RX570.

What could have caused this? Could an update to my video card driver be responsible?

Tagged:

Answers

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,298 Moderator

There could be 1000 reasons for this. Since you say nothing has changed, I assume that means you’re still on HitFilm 14 or earlier? Perhaps you could try updating to 15.1 and see if that helps.

While not the perfect measure, you could try looking at Task Manager to see if anything is eating up resources in the background. This won’t always show everything though... some of the main offenders are antivirus software (even the built-in Defender) and Windows updates, or anything that automatically updates. While I don’t recommend turning either of those off completely, try to make sure that they’re not working away while you’re trying to render.

On the flip side, it may be worth doing a full system scan with your antivirus just in case malicious software is hanging out on your system. Windows updates can also sometimes fix performance issues.

Is OBS, a game, or your web browser open while you render? These will all eat up CPU, GPU, and RAM that HitFilm needs to run fast.

• sloonark
    sloonark Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Thanks for the reply.

I am already using v15.1

I just ran a test with nothing else open. It still took 3x as long. Task Manager shows nothing else using CPU. CPU is running at around 11% and the GPU at 8%.

Perhaps I should try to downgrade back to v14?