Is it just me or it is hot in here.....? Orb pluggin Hitfilm (final cut) maybe

Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,843 Ambassador
edited September 12 in Show off

I got two problems with this shot,

1) I really want to make the flames look more like they are coming from the side, right now there look behind. I think making the glow from the sun edge up into the flames is what I want, but not figured out how to make my fractal do that.

2) The eagle eyed of you, will no dought spot the masks around the flames, I played and played to get a more random edge but even with a big feather it still look like it does.

Tagged:

Comments

• CMFilmsCMFilms Website User Posts: 59 Enthusiast

@Andy001z, that looks sweet! Made in Hitfilm?

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,843 Ambassador

100% all Hitfilm Pro 15, using the video copilot plug-in. @BenjaminD

• ndpproductionsndpproductions Website User Posts: 10 Enthusiast
    edited September 9

@Andy001z That shot is really cool! I especially like the intense glows around the edge of the orb and the 'misty' text that is behind the main text.

In your post, you mentioned creating a "more random edge", and recently I have been trying to replicate the roughen edges effect, found in After Effects, in Hitfilm and I have come up with this: If you want to create a slightly more random or jagged edge to the fractal flames, you could use a heat distortion effect and set the mask to be a new plane layer (I created a black plane, but it can be any colour - I think). This will then distort the edges and stop the edge from looking so uniform.

Here is an example:

This is a plane layer with some fractal noise applied to it along with a heat distortion effect. I feathered the edge as well however feathering the edge is not necessary for this to work.

Here is the effect with the mask in Heat Distortion set to the New Plane:

It's more noticeable in person, but there is a slight difference and it helps roughen the edges up.

I hope this helps! 

😀

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,843 Ambassador

@NDPProductions thanks for the nice comment and the really useful response.

Funny I am using the distortion effect but as an effect on that later not as you suggested, which I will not try.

The misty text I think I'd just one of the three layers of the same text with a caustics effect on it.

I'll keep working in it. Just for the sheer delight and fun.

Andy

Ps did you know you appear to have to user accounts coming up the same name just a lower case p on production. If a problem we can tag in a forum staff member.

Andy

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,002 Ambassador

@Andy001z it looks like @NDPProductions just started a second account. Unless we have two users with near identical names.

This you, Nathan?

edited September 14

I know we all changed gears to the NDPProductions thing, but does anybody mind sending me a link to the Video Copilot plugin? I'd really appreciate it.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,194 Ambassador

That's the fastest I've ever seen someone respond 😂 Thanks!

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,194 Ambassador

@BenjaminD It wasn't intentional. I just logged in and saw what you had posted. I didn't realize that it was just two minutes before! 😎

@FilmSensei: Funny!

Do plug-ins like this work in Express or do I have to have Pro?

edited September 9

@Triem23 In answer to your question:

Both of these accounts are mine however this is the one that I am hoping to use more in the future as it is the account that I created back in 2017 when I got started with Hitfilm. The other account was created before I realised that I could change the username of an account, and wanted to have an account to match my Youtube channel. The other account (@ndp_productions probably wont be seen on the FXhome forums again as I will be using this one for future forum stuff.)

Sorry for any confusion.

Edit: I have now changed its name and deleted the profile picture.

edited September 9

@BenjaminD Plugins such as Orb, Saber and other specific After Effects plugins only work inside of Hitfilm Pro and cannot be installed for Hitfilm Express. However if you are wanting to create some planet goodness inside of Hitfilm Express, then you could use the built in 'Sphere' effect. There is a brilliant tutorial which explains how to use this effect on the FXhome YouTube channel which shows how you can make custom planets in Hitfilm (here's the video):

• premierestudiospremierestudios Website User Posts: 28 Enthusiast

We would be remiss, of course, if we didn't at least mention @Triem23's Planet Tutorial in HitFilm Express...

Also, I will plug my own set of tutorials for a star effect in HitFilm Express. It is a three part series, and I would be happy to post the links if you are interested. Maybe we can talk @Andy001z into a tutorial on his version here using the Orb Plugin??? 😁 I for one would be very interested!

edited September 9

Thanks for responding, everyone! (was just wondering about plugins in general)

So here is the final animated version of my version of the ORB tutorial that Andrew Kramer did. Please view it full screen its much better.

Boy was this a toughy!!

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 865 Enthusiast

I really like it although the #lava# (?) flows too much or too quickly.

Maybe some heat distortion as well?

edited September 12

Hmm @DafterThings funny already slowed it down, maybe not enough, and it's got heat distortion to go...

It's attempt one might try from scratch and see if what I learnt can improve the effect. There are a lot of layers and nested comps.