[FEATURE] Multiple Editor Timelines/Editor Sequences

bdazzled
bdazzled Website User Posts: 69 Enthusiast
edited October 2020 in HitFilm

This would be super useful as if you want to change something to your edit and keep the previous version, you don't have to duplicate the entire project. All you'd have to do is duplicate the timeline. As well as this, these Editor timelines would show up similarly to composites in the Media panel. (love the new forum by the way)

Comments

• wanemaccine
    wanemaccine Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out*

Hello.

I miss a lot one crucial feature most of editors have and HitFilm still doens't: being able to have more than one single sequence in the same project.

Here, when I create a project, I have only one timeline, which is, just one sequence. I know I can use many composite shots but Composit shot is for other purposes. Sometimes, I need different small videos that belong to the same project. They use the same arts, the same effects. When I need to change something in one of thaem, it might mean to change it in all of than. It doesn't make many sense to duplicate the project, it' a workaround but it is bad. I usually work with the different videos or versions in the same timeline but it is bad as well, for the organization. It would be awesome having this feature!

Thank you very much.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,586 Ambassador

@wanemaccine I've merged your thread with this older thread requesting the same feature. Make sure you hit Up Vote at the top of the thread.

@bdazzled I slightly changed your headline. Some people say "Multiple Editor Timelines" others "Multiple Sequences." I'm hoping the change makes this thread easier to find.

• bdazzled
    bdazzled Website User Posts: 69 Enthusiast
    edited October 2020

@Triem23 : Thanks! I should've put "sequences" from the start!

• jackschoening
    jackschoening Website User Posts: 96 Enthusiast

Ok. Yes, I know embedded composite shots are a thing. But there should be an easier way. In a comp, in the drop down menu on layers, there should be an option that says "Pre-Comp". This will make a new composite shot out of the Pre-Comped layers and it will group them together. When you double click it, it should open the composite shot of those layers. Also, For the editor timeline, there should be nested clips.

• JavertValbarr
    JavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 336 Staff

This is already implemented exactly as you described it, but instead of "Pre-Comp" it's labelled "Make Composite Shot".

• jackschoening

I agree but there still isn't nested clips in the editor which is really important

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,586 Ambassador

@Jack7593859 Your thread has been merged with this older thread making the same request.

Don't forget to click "Vote Up" at the top of this thread.

• scorp84
    scorp84 Website User Posts: 7 Just Starting Out*
  • jackschoening

Hello I know this is already a request but I just Really want this in this editor timeline. I understand if you take this down as this is violating the rules.

• mhilkemeijer
    mhilkemeijer Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 33 Enthusiast

As much as I would like to have it too, make sure to post in the already existing request and to vote that up. The more popular a post is, the higher the chance it will be taken into consideration. Duplicates end up getting deleted or merged anyways.

Also, your format is incorrect. You didn't put [FEATURE] or [ENHANCEMENT] but a more-or-less duplicate title instead.

https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/53785/how-to-submit-a-feature-request-you-must-not-post-before-reading-these-instructions

• Triem23

@Jack7593859

As @mhil has already pointed out, and you already acknowledged, your thread was a duplicate of an existing request. Please do not knowingly make duplicate request threads. They will be deleted or merged. Do click "Vote Up" at the top of this thread to make your voice heard.

Also, please read the link mhil provided on posting ettiquite and formatting for future reference.

Thanks much! 😉

• sam4cinema
    sam4cinema Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

Yes, am also desperately waiting for multiple editor timelines or sequence. Unless this feature i can't use Hitfilm as a professional editor software like Premiere Pro. Hope they will add this feature in their next version. Thanks.

• jackschoening

Sorry about my duplicate discussion. Sometimes I just get over excited. I won't post more comments that already exists.

• jackschoening

Here is a way multiple sequences could work. In the media panel, under New, there should be a sequence option much like the composite shot option. Also, at the bottom of the media panel it says composite shot, there should also be a sequence button so when you drop a clip onto it it will create a new Timeline with those slips settings. This image I have provided will simplify.

• mabdelbary
    mabdelbary Website User Posts: 41 Just Starting Out*

@jackschoening,

I agree with your suggestion, these are essential tools for any editor 👍️

• Triem23

@mabdelbary Since you have already posted in this thread about Multiple Editor Timelines, you understand why I have deleted your thread about Multiple Editor Timelines. One thread per request, please.

• mabdelbary

@Triem23 I made this request with the [ENHANCEMENT] title because it was mentioned before as a [FEATURE] and it is an addition to this feature, I expected the request to be merged not removed.

I can't edit the title of this request because it is not my thread, that's why I mentioned [ENHANCEMENT] for this feature, I know that [ENHANCEMENT] is for the current HitFilm features, however, I wasn't sure whether to add it to the thread or to make an adjustment to the current [FEATURE] request.

What I posted earlier is dealing particularly with AAF files to transfer between projects in any editing software and copy some parts of the imported sequence to my current editing sequence. This is another side topic (or an addition) from the new video sequence within the same project in a way.

In the current version of HitFilm, the AAF can't be imported, it can just be opened as a new project in the current editing sequence. Therefore, the AAF file can't be added to my current project.

I did not repeat the thread, please send me the request that I posted before so I can add it to the current thread.

Thanks!!

• Triem23

@mabdelbary the feature request for being able to append/join an EDL/Project Timeline into another project Timeline is here:

For base feature request purposes, being able to load an AAF project into an existing Timeline first requires Hitfilm to be able to append projects to other timelines to begin with. I'd suggest you up vote that thread and add a comment where you'd like to see that work with AAF as well as Hitfilm projects.

• JPSTUNTS
    JPSTUNTS Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out*

I really love HITFILMPRO. It was the product that made me quite adobe Premiere.

But for the love of god man, let us have multiple sequences/timelines for editing multiple films, it should be standard to have that feature. I cannot see the reason why it is not included? It is an absolute must. Specially when making bigger projects.

Thank you :)

• mabdelbary

@fxhomer43858 I totally agree 👍️

• mabdelbary

Sorry I posted the same comment several times because I thought there was an error on the website but I just realized that the comment has to be approved to be posted.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,254 Ambassador

@mabdelbary Your repeated comments actually ended up in the spam queue. I cleared them and will remove the duplicates to keep things clean.

• mabdelbary

@CleverTagline Thanks for the explanation 👍️