Film Development At Home

TomCowles
TomCowles StaffAdministrator, Website User Posts: 29 Staff

It's been about 12 years since I've worked in a darkroom. Today however, I've managed to set up a system to develop my reels at home!

I've been snapping with my Canon AE-1 for years now but always out-sourced my development. Then lock down happened... then Corridor did their episode on film development... Then I felt I've been lazy.

Originally, I had planned on using the coffee development technique until I captured some good memories I didn't want to risk loosing them. Enter - the Monobath! A Monobath is a all in one solution, rather than your usually 3/4 so really low fuss approach- especially if you're like me and not much of a chemist. After getting my reels into the dark bag and into the developing tank, this solution only needed 3 minutes to do it's thing. And though there was a moment of doubt in my abilities, it's worked! The contrast looks a little strong, though this might be down to the temperature or time in the tank, but it's a result!

Next step is to find myself a reel scanner!

Any other home film-developers out there?

What do you shoot on film?

And, has any one tried the coffee technique!? 😄

Tagged:

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,879 Moderator

@TomCowles .

I developed my own BW years ago; never brave enough to go the color route. Today, I don't even have a film camera anymore after the film advance mechanisms on not one but 2 Praktica cameras gave out on my back in the early 90s, and I had never heard of the monobath or coffee method. It seems I am hopelessly out-of-touch now! 😀

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,575 Ambassador

@TomCowles @tddavis I have never worked with actual film and stand in awe of a skilled alchemist..

• tddavis

@Triem23 Actually, I always found the mixing and stirring the easiest part of the process. All the freaking math for shutter speeds, f-stops- light meters that was the hard stuff! 😮

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,085 Ambassador

I have a roll of film sitting on my self and that sirs is where it will stay.

• JBaymore
    JBaymore Website User Posts: 336 Enthusiast

What's film? 😁😂😁

• TomCowles
    TomCowles Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 29 Staff

@Triem23 @tddavis The traditional process still has me scratching my head and caused me many a weirdly developed film, but it's so fun!

Great feeling when not only has the development worked, but you've also taken a great pic 😄

and @Andy001z I encourage you to give it a try sometime - this stuff takes 3 minute and the results are great. Think this is a solid approach for those starting out for sure!

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,085 Ambassador

@TomCowles Maybe Ill do it as part of chemistry homeschool with my daughter next year.

• usafdummy
    usafdummy Website User Posts: 57 Enthusiast

Long time ago when I started with film I too used the Canon, I loved using it but I never learned how to develop my own film cause I could never set up a dark room. I was in the military and lived on base but I wanted to so bad so I did the next best thing, I cheated! I worked at a one hour photo shop but then again you still just used a machine for developing. I still have my camera's but neither one of them work. I can't remember what is wrong with the one but the other one won't advance the film. Now I just use digital camera's.

• tddavis

@usafdummy That is exactly what happened to my Praktica and a TopCon. I always blamed my forceful finger action :) Maybe just a wear point.

• GordonCato
    GordonCato Website User Posts: 69 Just Starting Out

I had a darkroom for most of my life growing up. My parents always nurtured my photography and film hobby.

• usafdummy

@tddavis I think on the one I know it was my fault, trying to hurry and put the film in and it didn't catch right and I did force it cause it won't wind up the film and I heard it. Bought the other one for parts but they just sat there in a box.

• usafdummy

I had to up grade my camera, I could never figure out the frame rate on this one!

• DibsMcCallum
    DibsMcCallum Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 145 Staff

I love shooting the occasional bit of film, I use with wife's, great aunts 1950's Voigtlander Vito B camera, manual focus and metering.

You get some impressive results with it, I just finished a pack of Neopan 400CN in it.

These were some of the results from the last few rolls using Fujifilm Superia 400 X-Tra

• georgefilmltd
    georgefilmltd Website User Posts: 462 Enthusiast

We are so lucky. Now filmmaking is so easy!

• TomCowles
    TomCowles Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 29 Staff

Managed to get myself a cheap film scanner. It's clear I definitely need to get a squeegee but it's they've all got this old 'Lighthouse' style that I just love!! 😍 ... might also have something to do with being at the coast though haha.

• usafdummy

When I was taking pictures with my Canon I liked using FUJI film. For some reason it always seemed to have brighter color's than the other film. But then again I also Loved doing some Wedding shot's in B/W outside with natural light and inside with shadows. I got out of that cause to many people thought that the cost was to high and Just once I did it for a friend for $250.00 and that to him was to high! So video and drone flying is my love now.

• usafdummy

@TomCowles

I know Tom I got way off of your subject at the beginning so I did some checking around and it seem kind of simple to develop the B/W film this way and here is a you tube link that shows how to do this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYjOqcbBEco

I'm sure you have done the same thing but if not hope this works for you.

• mariah1902
    mariah1902 Website User Posts: 0

From where did you find this antique?. Can you please share some of the photos that you took from it?. I have some of the old cameras and I keep them as a memory and now after seeing yours I am really curious about the capabilities it has that time. If you have the time please try to post or share some of its photos with us.