Extermination Tutorial?

TheOnlyOllie1TheOnlyOllie1 Website User Posts: 24
Hi,
  Does anyone have any idea how to do a dalek extermination? (You know, when the person gets shot by a dalek and they glow and you see there skeleton and stuff?) Would be very useful for my Doctor Who Short Film, 'RUN'. 
Thanks  :D 

Comments

• GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    You need to work with layers and a 3D software like Poser or DazStudio (that is free) and a skeleton poseded as the character. Maybe you need to buy the skeleton to animate it, but its very cheap.
  • TheOnlyOllie1TheOnlyOllie1 Website User Posts: 24
    I have a skeleton 3D model but it would be helpful for some instructions :)

You need to work with layers and a 3D software like Poser or DazStudio (that is free) and a skeleton poseded as the character. Maybe you need to buy the skeleton to animate it, but its very cheap.
    You need to do this:
    1 - Shoot the footage when you victim are being targeted.
    2 - cut to the agressor
    3 - whem back to the victim he needs to be a green screen over the blank background
    4 - In the editor you will need maybe 3 layer to create this effect:
    a - top layer with the victim in green screen
    b - middle layer maybe with the glow effect (i like to use anothe rlayer so the top one will mask the inside glow)
    c - the skeleton layer (if you need muscles or flesh use more layers)
    Now you need to fade out layer by layer to get the better effect.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    GK has a pretty good breakdown there, althought I would say you don't have to greenscreen your actor. The "glow" of a Dalek blaster has always been pretty loose. You COULD just duplicate your footage with the actor being shot and draw a loose, feathered mask over him/her for your glow layers. NuWho loves to use the green glow (Unless it's a Stephen Moffat episode, in which case the only thing you'll ever see a Dalek take out is another Dalek. Grand Moff Steven doesn't believe in bad guys actually being a threat....). If you're looking for a little more of a Classic Who look then go with Invert, since the classic extermination was negative video.
    hahaha I saw a few episodes of Dr, so dont reminde the effect... just could imagine something like Blade vampire disolve.
    hahaha I saw a few episodes of Dr, so dont reminde the effect... just could imagine something like Blade vampire disolve.

GK has a pretty good breakdown there, althought I would say you don't have to greenscreen your actor. The "glow" of a Dalek blaster has always been pretty loose. You COULD just duplicate your footage with the actor being shot and draw a loose, feathered mask over him/her for your glow layers. NuWho loves to use the green glow (Unless it's a Stephen Moffat episode, in which case the only thing you'll ever see a Dalek take out is another Dalek. Grand Moff Steven doesn't believe in bad guys actually being a threat....). If you're looking for a little more of a Classic Who look then go with Invert, since the classic extermination was negative video.

Just to let you all know, I am very grateful for your help and would be grateful if you could check out the finished product. It's on the movie wall and it's called, 'RUN'. Thanks :)

Please post the link!
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eUV_4lsbl0
    Ollie, take a look at this tutorial. That will walk you through techniques to improve your TARDIS and Dalek.
    The extermination effect looked really good! You did a nice job getting motion in your negative skeleton and matching it to actor motion and placement. That one shot looks professional! Your regeneration energy is quite good, too, so I fully expect, if you follow that tutorial, you can get your Tardis and Dalek up to the level of your extermination and regeneration.
    Nice use of slow-motion on the Daleks's first shot! Clearly this Dalek is a threat. You also did a nice job on your music editing. It flows nicely.
    Good work!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eUV_4lsbl0
    Ollie, take a look at this tutorial. That will walk you through techniques to improve your TARDIS and Dalek.
    The extermination effect looked really good! You did a nice job getting motion in your negative skeleton and matching it to actor motion and placement. That one shot looks professional! Your regeneration energy is quite good, too, so I fully expect, if you follow that tutorial, you can get your Tardis and Dalek up to the level of your extermination and regeneration.
    Nice use of slow-motion on the Daleks's first shot! Clearly this Dalek is a threat. You also did a nice job on your music editing. It flows nicely.
    Good work!

Thank you very much Michael, I will follow the tutorial and then re-upload it. Thank you very much, it means a lot :)