Split Screen Masking Cut Limit

iimeme
iimeme Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Hello,

I have a little project where I am taking videos of different friends recording a song and combining them into a virtual chorus. There are going to be 12 different videos, and I'd like to have them all visible in a split screen view (like how a Zoom call looks).

However, I can't figure out how to change the "Number of Cuts" option to 12; the max I can do is 8. Is this a limit with this feature? I wasn't able to find any information online to this end. If it is a limit, is there some other way that I can fit 12 (or more) videos in one?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

There's 2 ways to do it, depending on what you're going for

1. If you want to see the full frame of the original videos, the best way would be to scale them down (25% for a 4x3 or 4x4 grid), then set them up how you want in a composite. The Layout panel is your friend! Learn how it works!
    2. If you don't care about the original framing and just want to use your screen real estate as much as possible, divide the height of your resolution by as many rows as you want (for instance 1080 (for 1080p) divided by 3 (for 3 rows) = 360), then create a new plane or grade with that height. Add the Split Screen Mask and create the number of cuts for that row. Repeat for each row.

Let me know if that helps, or if I need to add more detail!

• iimeme
    iimeme Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Thank you so much! I did not know about the layout panel before, and I'm finding it very useful.

The first way seems like the best one for me, and I followed your steps with good results. Are there any tips for figuring out the math of which video goes where? I can do the calculations, but I'm not sure if there is an easier or more intuitive (built-in) way that can be used.

Are there any rules of thumb about how thick of a border between the videos I should use?

Also, is there any way to resize multiple videos at once? When I select more than one, the size in the layout panel increases to the imaginary box around the entire thing. It would be nice if I could change multiple videos to a certain size (for example, 480 wide) at once.

Thanks!