Imitating VideoCopilot Shockwave with Hitfilm?

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
edited June 2014 in General
http://vimeo.com/94216941
So video copilot just released a new shockwave pack which has computer generated shockwaves.  Now Im curious has anyone had success making high quality diverse shockwaves in hitfilm?  I know hitfilm has a general shockwave and of course particle simulations.  I've personally played with shockwaves but never to the extent required to get such a high quality aesthetic.  Every time I've open sourced these type of questions on hitfilm it has lead to some amazing results being created so I am hoping that we can accomplish the same again. 
https://www.videocopilot.net/products/shockwave/
In looking at the shockwaves he has created I think it would take setting up a particle simulator for the initial shockwave and then duplicating that particle simulator completely so that you can turn each one into a embedded composite so you can apply effects as needed.  So the top particle simulator could have a glow and a brighten effect.  The one immediately below that  could be the other layer that goes slightly beyond it or not as far out and in a different color at a slightly lowered speed.  The 3rd particle system would be the inner layer that would be faster but not go out even close to as far as the others.  Each one of these particle systems would have additional emmiters to enhance the effect.  I will play around with it now and see what I can do, but would love to brain storm some thoughts. 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    edited June 2014
    Good thoughts, MichaelJames. Also, remember that you have the ability to use video/animated textures for particle sims. So, setting up, say, a fire sim as an animated source texture would get the roiling look of some of the VCP shockwaves.
    Or, using a particle sim to created animated textures for another particle sim.
    Some of those waves look like stock footage elements were polar and/or fisheyed, and/or mirrored as well.
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    I feel like video copilot has access to a waayy better forces system, and allot more experience and research. I think it is like slightly possible that it could be done in hit film.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    Experience and research, maybe. Forces? Nah. Hitfilm's particle sim is really kick ass. Looking at the VCP trailer again I am more convinced that ever that Kramer's key to those designs was using stock footage layers as animated particle textures along with varied warps. I think MJ is correct in that Kramer also layered multiple particle sims up.
    Over in the Videocopilot Star thread it was said that Hitfilm couldn't get a good-looking star because of differences between Hitfilm and After Effects Fractal Noise generators, but Axel, Simon, and, yes, me--we made some really good looking stars using similar techniques. I see no reason why Hitfilm can't produce similar shockwaves to Videocopilot.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    The thing would be to build it once and then tweak it over and over and over to get all the different looks.  I am working on this now and going painfully slow to try to work out the different elements to this.
    As to the forces on the particle systems I think what hitfilm has is enough to get the job done but more would of course be useful.  I mean if you could make a force into a sphere and then curtail the drop off past that initial sphere...    :)  Feature request :)
    Spherical forces (and deflectors) would be handy indeed. For now, nest some cubes. Say I want a total force of "3" : I could nest three cubes, same center same vector , different radius. Widest cube force 0.5 middle cube force 1, smallest cube force 1.5. Because forces are cumulative, this would give the inner cube a force of 3, stepping down through the outer two.

I feel like some very basic feature requests could be acknowledged as its gonna happen.  No game changers just basic little things that people would love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYbgjCR8PMI
    All this debate on particles, and it's fractal noise and a polar warp. We over thought this.
    Sometimes, I think our minds must be TOO highly trained, Majikthies.
  • jobodhobojobodhobo Website User Posts: 49
    I did a first test when I saw the video. It's not as good as the original, but is a start:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppAgyKYkBsA
    Also, the way to make it a circle is the polar warp. And in hitfilm the shockwave should come from the bottom of the screen, rather than the top due to the way the effect works.
    Well Triem23 I think what we were doing would ideally give you the ability to have a 3d shockwave.  It would be nice to be able to rotate it and do more.
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    Been planning to to a shot at doing the VCP shockwave tutorial Hitfilm Style this weekend; if I manage anything decent I'll post.  :)