Plane import from mocha

magicfred
magicfred Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out
edited September 2020 in Post-production techniques

Dear all,

I can easily track multiple plane in mocha and make a camera solve from it. When done I can import the 4 corners and center points of any plane and the camera solve. However, I can't figure out how to also import a plane well positioned in 3D space in Hitfilm to use for example the projector tool... Is there a way to do so and a good tutorial about it?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Tagged:

Answers

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,942 Ambassador

@magicfred Have you seen these two videos from the Official FXhome Youtube Channel? They are a bit older, but they still apply...

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,798 Moderator

Made a few minor edits to the title and body for clarity. Hope it's okay?

• magicfred
    edited September 2020

@FilmSensei Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes I saw these 2 videos but as you can see, at the end in Hitfilm you just get 5 3D points for each plane tracked...

If you want a plane align with these points to use the projector effect, you must manually add one plane, link it to one of the 5 points and then tweak the position/rotation manually.... What I was looking for is a way to get a plane perfectly positioned on which the 5 points will be exactly on... Not sure my explanation is clear enough...

Thanks anyway for your support.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,571 Ambassador

The center point of the five should do it. Parenting your plane to the center point of the mocha tracks then changing the all the position, orientation and rotation values of the parented plane will directly snap it to align with the mocha track.

That said, you placed your mocha grid by-eye. Your track might not be 100% accurate anyway and you're plane might still require some adjustment.

• magicfred

@Triem23 Thanks, it's what I am doing now... Why can't we just, from mocha get the 5 points and a plane well oriented? I don't see the added value of having to manually place my plane when all is already done in mocha... Anyway looks like there is no other way so I will continue to do so and thanks again for your advice.

Could be an idea for an improvement if really it doesn't exist...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,571 Ambassador

Exporting from mocha does generate a plane. Whichever layer is active in mocha. Could just use that one.

• magicfred
    edited September 2020

Thanks. Yes a plan is generated but it's a 2D blue plan. I don't understand how it can help...

However I now understand how to make it coplanar with the points.... I make it 3D, link it to my center points from mocha and fully reset all transformation on it... I get what I want...

The last things I don't understand is why, if I add a grid on the plane, the perspective of it doesn't match the video perspective???

Do I miss something? Thanks for the support and sorry if I am not clear enough in my description of the problem...