HitFilm + Blender Workflow

TomCowles
TomCowles StaffAdministrator, Website User Posts: 29 Staff
edited September 2020 in Post-production techniques

Animated a camera in Blender and want to composite into HitFilm? No problem!

The team here have created a camera exporter for Blender, allowing you to bring your scene and animated camera data into HitFilm.

Though the first version has been out for sometime, developed during production of 'Rise of the Dark Side', we have a new and improved update! This time we've included a conversion to pixels to mm. What does this mean? In short, this eliminates any problems with scene scaling, so it's giving you a zero fuss import.

Everything will now be remapped to a suitable size in HitFilm!

Download and have a play;

https://gitlab.com/schwar/hitfilm-exporter-for-blender

I love this add-on and have been using it in a couple on-going projects, but what about you guys?

What will you be using this Exporter for?

And what other Blender / HitFilm workflow features would you like to see created?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,571 Ambassador

Nice! I'll have to grab this updated script!

For no reason, I'm gonna tag @spydurhank into this thread he'd never, ever visit on his own... 😉

Wait. Pixels to mm... Does this mean maybe Hitfilm's camera might update to mm settings removing the need to calculate that math equation* to match a camera focal length in Hitfilm?

*equation to convert mm to pixels in Hitfilm, you may ask? Yes! @ZachAlan_Productions talks about it in this FXHOME tutorial...

He got it from my tutorial.

And I got it from an old Hitfilm user named @mark_e!

• zach_alan
    zach_alan Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 447 Enthusiast

@Triem23

Thanks for the mention! :)

If you want to use mm for your camera you can create the camera in Blender, set the focal length there, and export to HitFilm. Still not as easy as having mm in HitFilm but it saves you from pulling out the calculator :)

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,046 Ambassador

Heh, this is a blast from the past. Hey Mike @Triem23 , Thanks very much for the mention. :)

Mark actually got that equation from me in the video below. Seems like a trend there when tracing a technique back to the original source. :)

Recorded this video back in 2013 about a year into learning 3D, I didn't invent math but my camera equation begins right about the 5:50 mark on the timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJ7a9BERBw&t=349s

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,571 Ambassador

@spydurhank I never knew he got it from you. I did try to trace it back, and imagine my surprise!

@ZachAllen_Productions my video talked THEORY yours involved using that theory to help solve a shot! Book learning vs actually making it happen! 😉 It's important to see both.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,942 Ambassador

I still have a copy of @mark_e's original script.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,046 Ambassador

Yeah dude, I still have Mark's first script too. Mine is based off of his which is based off a mish mash of other scripts. Cool stuff. :)