How do I make an imported photo image last for the entire timeline of my audio voice over?

yogagalyogagal Website User Posts: 7 Just Starting Out

Hi folks, I'm very new to all this and only using Hitfilm to do some simple editing for my website. I'm trying to use a photo and then a roughly 15min audio together. So far I've managed to import the photo, import the audio (well it had visual as well, but I realused I can click the wee eye thingy to blank the visual) but the photo disappears off the clip after a few seconds, whereas I want it just to stay on screen while the audio plays. Can anyone tell me how to get the photo to stay please? Any help much appreciated, it took me 4 hrs just to do the first bit and I'm totally stumped now.

Answers

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,180 Moderator

@yogagal Use the right edge of the image or plane and place the cursor there until you see green bracket thing, then click and hold the left mouse button and pull toward the right hand side of the timeline and the image will stretch until you reach the point to stop it. This should do it for you. Hope this helps you out.

• yogagalyogagal Website User Posts: 7 Just Starting Out

Hey thanks for replying πŸ˜€just to clarify... I'm clicking on the right side of the image when it's already on the timeline? My timeline only seems to show about 20secs I think? How do I make it last for 15 min to match the audio? Or do I import the longer clip first (ie the audio) and then the timeline will be longer because of that? Omg I'm so crap at tech! I don't even understand what I'm saying tbh πŸ™„πŸ˜‚

@yogagal So sorry, I did misunderstand what you were asking. To extend the timeline or project setting, go to the little gear icon near the bottom of the section between the timeline and the media panel (usually) and click it. It will bring up a pop up that lets you change your settings, or, as you noted, the timeline will automatically extend by the media dropped in. You can right click on the image on the timeline and go to speed/duration and set it for 15 minutes and it should expand the timeline with it. I hope that this is more helpful than my previous post. :)

Hey I didn't even understand what I was asking, myself! πŸ™„πŸ˜‚I will attempt to decifer all this tech info tonight when I'm brave enough to switch my laptop on again (it's like a wormhole in space and I can't get out, time has no meaning aaaaargh! 🀣🀣🀣) Many thanks for trying to explain about all this. I'm going to try everything u suggested and hopefully not 'break' my laptop as usual by randomly clicking buttons and shouting profanities at it. And breathe...... πŸ™Much appreciation.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

@yogagal Everyone has to start somewhere! HitFilm is a program with so much to learn that even veterans of the program learn new things regularly. If you haven’t seen it yet, I highly recommend this playlist to get you started with learning HitFilm:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFqEKMQyy86wtsad-UkY4anWttXHhKmGk

Hey thanks for the reply, any tips much appreciated! I did already try to watch these video tutorials, but tbh I was lost after the first minute or so, as it was all gobbled gook to me and didn't seem to refer to my particular issue. Was worth a try tho! πŸ˜€πŸ‘

@yogagal This evening when I get home to my system, I'll make a little screen cap sort of tutorial showing exactly what I tried to outline if you think it will help.

Brilliant! Many thanks! That wd be great! I need to know how to make my photo image last for the full timeline (rather than just a few seconds) and how to make that timeline longer if needed. Ps what's a screen cap? Is that like a wee clip? Thanks πŸ€”πŸ˜€

edited August 31

@yogagal Screen cap is a short cut for saying screen capture. It records what you are doing in a program off the screen input, then if you are super creative (I'm not) you edit and add effect, frills and fancy dodads. Mine are barebones, but hopefully show what's needed. :) I'll do one in a few hours when I'm home.

Thank you big muchness! πŸ˜€πŸ™

Wow I did your thingy with the green bracket and it worked! Hurray! 4 hours in the wormhole last night and took about 5secs tonight! You are a star!!! πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€I'm so glad I asked! Many many thanks. The rest of it is as clear as mud to me, but at least I can now do a voice over meditation with a nice pic on the screen! Result!

Here you go @yogagal I know you already figured part of it out, but hopefully this better illustrates what I was butchering in text explanation.

Sorry it took so long. I tried to get a little fancy 🀣