Project will not open anymore

JeffradiahJeffradiah Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Just like the title says, I have been working on this project for weeks. I've opened up the main file, the backups, and Hitfilm just crashes. Every other project file works fine but any of the ones on this project specifically just do not work and cause the application to crash. :(

Answers

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,168 Moderator

@Jeffradiah Sorry that you are having trouble with that project. It is odd that only this file is affected. It sounds to me like something may have been changed just before a save or a setting somewhere in the program got changed causing the fail. I think you might want to open a support ticket on it, and possibly they will want you to send the file to them for troubleshooting if they don't have an idea what might be going on at the start. Here is a link to contact them:

Support link for future reference: https://fxhome.com/questions/submit

Hope they can help you out.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

Hi, firstly BIG HUG that sucks. When something like this hits the fan it really is down heartening.

Step 1. I would create a support ticket with FXHOME. https://fxhome.com/support They will be able to look at your project file if you like to see what has gone on.

Step 2. Have you tried uninstalling Hitfilm and re-installing. (Maybe there is something at fault?)

Step 3. Is this project using some kind of media, check all your assets are still there for Hitfilm, it should allow you to re-link them, but maybe something has gone wrong with one of them. If you can check them externally (e.g play a video or music, load a 3d model into another application etc).

Step 4. Update this thread with your system specs, GPU, DRIVERS, CPU, MEMORY, OS, HITFILM VERSION

Good luck.

• JeffradiahJeffradiah Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

@tddavis @Andy001z

Yeah after posting I created a ticket, so hopefully they respond. Here are my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF

GPU: Radeon 570 8GB

Memory: 16GB

Hitfilm: Express, latest build

So, instead of checking every single file I actually just dropped all the media into a new project just to see if any issues would occur and it didn't happen. Because of that I'm thinking maybe it's an effect I applied onto the project but I don't believe that I did anything that would cause the project to never open again.

Also, thanks for responding guys, it's comforting knowing that there are people willing to help out.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

@Jeffradiah It is a bank-holiday here in the UK so FXHome support I am pretty certain won't be working today. Your ticket is most likely to be seen tomorrow by staff.

• ChimpshelyChimpshely Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Having the same issue, can we get a fix?

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,708 Ambassador

If you have been working on a project and it suddenly flips out even when other projects load fine, this says to me that you have no backup copy. The best workflow is to save iterative copies of your project as you make changes. e.g. File001, File002, File003, and so on.

This not only protects you from the perils of working with computers, it also protects you from yourself should you change or remove a section unintentionally.

Recent versions of HF have a built in feature where it will show you a list of files that did not exit properly on start up and will try to recover. If that doesn't work, then not much left to do but contact support if you have no backup copy.