Profile pages now gone?

HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
Did something happen to our Profile pages here today? It seems like I suddenly can no longer get to anyone's anymore, and clicking on user's names only now takes me to a list of that user's Content; clicking on my own name just takes me to my profile's account settings page.  :huh: 

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited June 2014
    Something did indeed happen.  There's some streamlining going on under the hood of the website, and Profiles were removed, basically due to hardly anyone using them.
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Thats to bad.  I did use profiles, abit.  It is nice to see peoples updates and such.  My big pet peeve is their is no good way to tell if you got a PM.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Caleb K - for that, go into the Notifications center of your account, and enable the option to be notified of Private Messages.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    Hmmmm. Wasn't expecting that...
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    I occasionally looked at profiles too. Once the streamlining is finished, will there be something similar?
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    On reflection, I can see cutting profiles. Personally, I never really filled mine out, but, besides lists of an individual's forum posts, I would like a return of status updates, and I would VERY much like to see the return of the "quicklist" of a user's YouTube/Vimeo content. Using Null Unit as an example: someone who loved his Atomic Experiment 25 might want to look at his 1-24, and it was easier to go to Null's profile to find his other vids than to page through the Movie Wall.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited June 2014
    I went to 'friend' someone today and couldn't. :( I gotta admit that's a little disappointing but probably something I could live without. It is better to have friended than to never have friended at all....................to borrow a phrase.
    I definitely WILL miss the status updates though. It was a nice jaunt into the personal.
    I did look at profile pages. I liked seeing where people are from and even found one from Wisconsin (where I am).
    It is better to have profiled than to have never ehhhhhh, forget it. :D/
    Can we have more likes? I like a lot of stuff and often run out of likes........still, like they say........it is better to have liked than.......is this a rerun? @-)
    BTW- Caleb- check your PMs.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    As Axel says, there's some streamlining going on, of which this is a part. Aaaah, 'streamlining'. That really sounds like corporate-speak for something bad, doesn't it? :]
    Profiles, and associated bits like friends and status updates, were good conceptually but we never quite had the time to integrate them as tightly as we wanted. Which is why hardly anybody used them - though I do appreciate that for those of you who did use them, it's a bit disappointing. I liked using status updates myself, to tease the occasional upcoming tutorial etc.
    It's an on-going process and should see some cool changes down the line a bit. 
  • BenBen Website User Posts: 51
    edited June 2014
    I'm sad to see profiles go, as that was my main way of 'lurking' on the posts of users. That being said, I see why they had to go.

What I would really like to see is the key thing that kept me posting on the FXHome forums for over 10 years -- the cinema archive and discussion pages. I think a community like this is the best way to get standardized commentary and criticism on film work, and a standardized, genre and ratings-based 'movie profile' cinema like on the old FXHome is something I've sorely missed the last three years. The Movie Wall is cool and all, but it's mostly an extension of YouTube with an encouragement to cross-post in the forums, rather than a nicely established vector for commentary and support.
    What would be cool would be a standardized way to post and update projects, so that there's a more orderly way of looking at what people are working on, outside of just a forum post.
    Like the old cinema, an encouragement to upload banner images, a poster, a concise description, etc. these qualities are notably absent in YouTube and Vimeo, and are really something the FXHome team could continue to capitalize on if implemented.
    I love the movie wall! I use it a ton! Because it is easier and more convenient for me to find things on that page then on you tube.  Its great for when i have 5 minutes of free time.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Thanks for that feedback, Ben.
  • fredclipsfredclips Website User Posts: 228
    Agree with Ben here.
    Without comments directly on the movie wall (like the old fxhome cinema) I almost only post there as an after thought. I'm personally more interested in feedback than views.
    Also agreed. I did put a fair amount of thought into whether or not to create a single thread for animations or one-per-project. Adding (back, it seems. I dunno, only been around a year) detailed feedback to the movie wall would be useful.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited June 2014
    What I would really like to see is the key thing that kept me posting on the FXHome forums for over 10 years -- the cinema archive and discussion pages. I think a community like this is the best way to get standardized commentary and criticism on film work, and a standardized, genre and ratings-based 'movie profile' cinema like on the old FXHome is something I've sorely missed the last three years. The Movie Wall is cool and all, but it's mostly an extension of YouTube with an encouragement to cross-post in the forums, rather than a nicely established vector for commentary and support.
    What would be cool would be a standardized way to post and update projects, so that there's a more orderly way of looking at what people are working on, outside of just a forum post.
    Like the old cinema, an encouragement to upload banner images, a poster, a concise description, etc. these qualities are notably absent in YouTube and Vimeo, and are really something the FXHome team could continue to capitalize on if implemented.

Couldn't agree more. I really miss this system from the old Fxhome. I remember checking the FXhome box office a couple times a week, and I think it also encouraged more story based work as opposed to VFX tests, which seems to be what most of the movie wall is comprised of. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if we could set up filters for genre, or duration, or other parameters, I think the movie wall would be far more interesting to me.
    I believe I learned more about film and film techniques from watching films and reading various reviews from respectable fxhomers. Also, side note, what happened to Solthar's movie making guide? And what happened to Solthar?

If we as a community raised money for a 24th thunderbolt storage device, priced at 3.6 thousand (bit of a long shot) or something smaller.  Could hit film un streamline it and increase the upload quota?
    Did we also lose the ability to PM a user? That's mildly annoying.
    I don't think so what would make you think that?
    I think that I was trying to PM Bray, since he was the one asking for the v1 hitfilm Manual download and I wanted to PM him the link since he said he had to go out of his way to get online access and I figured the thread topics would be buried the next time he got online. Unfortunately, when I click his username, all I get is the two threads he's posted in and no option to send him a massage!.
    Click the white envelope icon beneath somebody's avatar on a forum post, or alternatively go to your messages area and create a new message. It's all still there, you just have a different route in. (well, to be more precise, those routes have always been there, you just can't go via profiles now)
    Click the white envelope icon beneath somebody's avatar on a forum post, or alternatively go to your messages area and create a new message. It's all still there, you just have a different route in. (well, to be more precise, those routes have always been there, you just can't go via profiles now)

Thank you for the clarification. :-)