Video Importing at Incorrect Length and Frame Rate

thesundaycouplethesundaycouple Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Hello,

I have been having this problem on Hitfilm Express 15.1.10413.7203 and previous versions as well where sometimes (will get to more specifics on that in a bit) when I import a video it shows 29.97 fps and a shorter length than what the video is. This causes audio/video desync in wherein the video (and file) ends before the audio has a chance to get there. This holds true in both the preview and the full render.

I record video using xSplit Broadcaster at a forced constant frame rate of 30fps (1080p) so it shouldn’t be a variable frame rate issue. I use H.264 video encoding (I have an Intel i7 7th gen processor) and 128kbps bitrate for audio. The videos are saved as .mp4s. I then put that file into Hitfilm to edit. I make sure that my project settings match my videos as well: 1080p, 30fps, sample rate of 48k hz.

The issue tends to happen most with longer videos. I have xSplit set so that if the videos are longer than 25 minutes it will save it as a separate file. My computer is good enough but both it and Hitfilm crap themselves if I use big files with longer videos. If I view the files using VLC media player (or any other video player for that matter) there is no issue and everything lines up. Specifically, the desync happens on the second file, not the first. This may be an xSplit issue but seeing as when I view the file properties it shows correctly 30fps and correct length I believe this to be an issue when Hitfilm is importing.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,029 Ambassador

I record video using xSplit Broadcaster at a forced constant frame rate of 30fps (1080p) so it shouldn’t be a variable frame rate issue.

Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee that there's not a variable frame rate issue in the file. If you don't already have MediaInfo installed, get that now. Drop one of your files from xSplit Broadcaster into it, then switch to the Text report option. Copy the full report and paste it into a reply here.

While waiting for that report, I'll say this: no matter where a video comes from, I always transcode it before editing in HitFilm. I learned this lesson years ago, and it has made my editing experience in HitFilm virtually error-free (user errors aside). If you’re not familiar with transcoding, I strongly suggest watching this video by @Triem23. It talks about why transcoding is important, and shows several ways to do it using various tools.

I use Handbrake to transcode, using settings recommended by @NormanPCN in this thread:

• thesundaycouplethesundaycouple Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Thank you. It really was an issue that transcoding solved! Thanks for the response and linking the thread. I guess the forced frame rate check box really was a suggestion on xSplit, haha.