Filming the Screen Externally?

IeuanamIeuanam Website User Posts: 75 Just Starting Out
edited August 28 in Practical Filmmaking

Hallo!

I have always wanted to know how to achieve this effect and FXHome uses it themselves but I just do not know how would I go about to do this. Actually get a camera and record the screen? If you go to HitFilm Pro and watch the 1 minute promo video at the top of the page.

14 seconds to 22 seconds is what I would like to learn. But I just do not know how to achieve this. Is this recording the screen or actually a camera.

Using the view page source to actually grab the video link to refer too. It is here otherwise it is on the HitFilm pro page.

Thanks!

Mod edit 08/27/2020: video link removed (broken link). Video can be found at the top of this page:

Best Answers

• IeuanamIeuanam Website User Posts: 75 Just Starting Out
    edited August 28 Accepted Answer

Nice!

Thanks guys!

So in conclusion. It is an actual screen recording using screen capture software such as OBS.

Bring that into HitFilm.

Turn it into a 3D Composite and layer

Animate the 3D camera to orbit around the layer.

Do this as Javert said: "usually setting the Alignment of the Camera to Towards Target Position so that I can keep a specific area in view." (10:04 Minutes in Film Sensei's video!)

Turn on depth of field. Tweak it to be shallow.

And then that is it. Optional to add Scan lines etc.

Thanks guys! :D

Answers

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,062 Moderator
    edited August 27

So there’s two ways to do this

1. Actually film the physical screen. It’s faster, but usually has artifacts that can look quite ugly. The better quality screen you have, the better the results. While not always ideal, this can be the best option if you want to make your screen feel more “in the world”. You see this occasionally in TV news stories and sometimes in older movies. Screen replacement or my next point is much more common now...
    2. What they do to make this specific video actually is a screen recording. You make the recording, put it into HitFilm, then your turn your clips into composite shots. Make your clip 3D, then either animate the keyframes for your clip’s position and rotation, or keyframe the virtual camera moves.
  • tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,203 Moderator
    edited August 27

@Ieuanam I am not 100% on this, but I suspect a screen capture software was used to capture a high quality resolution video of the programs then the monitor was filmed with tracking markers then tracked and a quad warp used for a screen replacement. You can film LCD monitor screens a lot easier than filming cathode screen back in the day when scan lines ran counter intuitively to camera shutters but there will a visible quality loss, I would think. Hope that gives you some ideas anyway.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,890 Ambassador

Hi @Ieuanam I have turned your comment into a Question type this means people can see if an answer was found or not. If you happy with any of the answers so far just select the Yes or No option.

Screen capture it then use the Quad Warp effect to pin to your screen. If the camera is moving your need to track the four corners of the screen and attach the four points to the warp four points. Here is FilmSensi tutorial on the effect.

Good point guys however, on there's you got the dynamic blur and if you would fiilm it with a camera. You would need all 4 points to track, So how come they managed to zoom all the way in without losing quality?

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,062 Moderator
    edited August 27

Ohh yeah thanks for bringing that up... that could be done with my method using the 3D Camera's Depth of Field, or you could fake it using a Lens Blur effect

@triforcefx yeah probably but I mean... Right you are on to something then. It may just be the DoF from the 3d Camera and they just made it a 3D plane and maybe scan lines on it to look more like a TV or pixelated... one issue is if you record a green screen on a laptop screen and you have to get close. you will not have any corners to track

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,061 Ambassador

The link to the original video doesn't work. It comes up with an "Access Denied" error. I'm going to remove the link from the original post and add a note about the removal.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador

I'm going to tag in @JavertValbarr and @TomCowles because one of them did the actual shot you're discussing and can answer for certain if they shot a monitor (less likely) or added filters and 3D rotation to a screen capture (more likely). Otherwise I think there's been a lot of good discussion already, so I add IF they shot a monitor they likely would have used their BMPCC 6K. With the 6k you can frame wide to keep the monitor's corners visible for tracking while having excess resolution to crop in to a closer frame on render without up scaling.

Nice!

Thanks guys!

So in conclusion. It is an actual screen recording using screen capture software such as OBS.

Bring that into HitFilm.

Turn it into a 3D Composite and layer

Animate the 3D camera to orbit around the layer.

Do this as Javert said: "usually setting the Alignment of the Camera to Towards Target Position so that I can keep a specific area in view."

(However that is done?)

Turn on depth of field. Tweak it to be shallow.

And then that is it. Optional to add Scan lines etc.

Thanks guys! :D

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador

To adjust the alignment of a Camera Position, select the camera layer and look in the Controls panel. Twirl open the Layer Properties and look for the "Alignment" field. You'll be able to align the camera towards any other layer (Great if you're animating something flying around and you want the camera to follow it), towards a target position (A specific set of 3D coordinates), Or along a motion path.

Any 3D layer - photo, video, plane, camera or 3D model - will have the same alignment options. Pretty cool!