HF-Xp15: Changing or mixing pixel and frame rate?

gunzhardgunzhard Website User Posts: 1

Hey guys I'm totally new to Hitfilm. So my Exports take forever! ...after poking around I discovered that mixing frame rates and few other things really slow those times down, so my question is...

If my videos are being recorded at 3840x2160 (29.9 fps) - but are intended for Youtube only; should I always change them when I pull them into HF?

And is it worth always changing pixel and frame rate to make sure that everything matches before Export?

Thanks,

Vin

Answers

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

4K video in general requires a pretty beefy computer to handle it well. If you recorded it on a phone, it is not optimized for HitFilm. If you have a lot of effects, or if you're using certain "compute heavy" effects, that's a slowdown. You can typically expect an export to take AT LEAST 2-3x as long as the length of your video.

What are your specs? OS, CPU, GPU, RAM?

What are you shooting on?

What effects are you using?

How long is your video and how long is it taking to export?

You can pretty much always get away with 1080p on YouTube. Absolutely never go lower than 720p. Use 4K if it's not an inconvenience.

In general, the framerates for your Footage, Project, and Export should all match up exactly. Resolutions can vary a bit easier, but usually it's best to make sure they match too.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

As a general rule, it is best to create your HitFilm project at the frame rate and resolution that you wish to use for the final exported video. So if you want to upload to YouTube at 3840x2160, 29.97, then you should use those settings for your HitFilm timeline. If you want to upload to YouTube at 1920x1080, 24 fps, then use those settings for your HitFilm timeline.

That being said, the settings you choose for your final video should be influenced by your source media. If the majority of your footage was files in 1920x1080, for example, you probably wouldn't want to create your final project at 4K. Choose a final resolution that matches your source footage if possible, or go smaller.