Creating composite shot crashes Hitfilm

theKtheK Website User Posts: 46 Just Starting Out

Whenever I try to create a comp. shot from an existing footage on timeline, Hitfilm crashes.

This only happens with SOME footage (for example, my own footage crashes while stock footage not)

It's a new issue, but I haven't changed anything in the camera, it's just a plain 1080p footage

Software is Hitfilm 15.1 Express

Appreciate your help!

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,168 Moderator

@theK Even though it is a new issue, it does certainly sound like it might be related to your footage in some way. Perhaps, 15 has even more stringent specs for certain footages. My first guess would be that it came from a screen recording or a cellphone camera and most likely is variable frame rate. While Hitfilm has typically had issues with audio mismatch from such footage, I cannot rule out the latest version has more serious problems with it. BTW, I am a user just like you (recently elevated to Mod,) so I don't have a lot of knowledge about the inner workings of the program. A MediaInfo report would be helpful in making a more informed call on the footage you are having issues with, but you also may want to raise an official Support ticket as they most likely will be needed to help you unless it is a variable issue that can be solved by transcoding. You can use the link above to get MediaInfo (free) and here is a good tutorial on using it:

Also, here is a video explaining why transcoding is sometimes need and how to do it. If you watch it on Youtube there are timecodes in the description for various methods:

Hope this helps a bit.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

To add to what @tddavis said, can you also list your system specs? CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage? Are your GPU drivers current, have you installed all critical OS updates? Is your machine a Dell or Alienware? It's probably related to the phone files, but the other info is good to have.

• theKtheK Website User Posts: 46 Just Starting Out

Hi guys, it's actually a footage taken from my sony A7SII camera, never had problems with it before on other versions of Hitfilm.

My desktop has relatively good specs:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB memory

16GB RAM

Z390 GAMING X-CF motherboard

all drivers are up to date

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,168 Moderator

@theK Okay. Naturally, my knee jerk explanation was totally off in your case. :) The only thing I can think of that might be an issue, and the 15.1 patch was for addressing this, I believe, is to turn off hardware decoding just to see if it has any bearing on the problem:

Other than that, the only advice I can offer is to contact Support directly for diagnosis.