Sudden horizontal and vertical scrolling of timeline

panpantompanpantom Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Hello team. Hitfile Express 15.1 and editing my third video so not very experienced. Bit of a messy timeline, some composite shots, starting to work with presets, workspaces etc.

Sometimes my timeline starts to smoothly scroll either vertically or horizontally depending on where my mouse is on the whole screen instead of when the mouse is in the timeline segment. For example if I move my mouse out of the timeline to top left menu then my timeline will race to 00:00. and vice versa - wherever I move my mouse on the whole screen, the timeline will attempt will follow - quickly and smoothly.

I don't know what is triggering this behaviour but it reminds me of what happens when you accidently hit scroll-lock or Insert on the keyboard. It feels like it shouldn't be happening, the timeline should be locked steady until i choose to scroll it.

I can't pin down what is triggering this. Once it's happened I can't find how to stop it so I tend to save my work and restart HF and all is good. If I can find the circumstances and reproduce this then I'll update here. Thanks.

Comments

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

What are your system specs? OS, CPU, GPU, RAM? You may need to ensure you have the latest OS and GPU updates installed.

• panpantompanpantom Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Win 10 1909; i5 7400; GTX 1060 3GB; 32GB.

I can reproduce this on a clean 15.1 session.

Create a new session, import say 10 minutes of content, zoom in a few steps so you have some timeline outside the window.

Pick a clip on the timeline - in my case an audio clip. Select an effect like Fade. The fade bar shows a no-entry sign until it is plopped into the right bit of the clip - i.e. start or finish. Instead, drop it on the clip say in the middle where it's not allowed so it just vanishes. Now your timeline will free scroll. Relock the timeline by selecting Fade (other effects are available) and dropping it on to the clip properly.

It's not fatal and I've not tested it anymore now that I know when it happens I can avoid the situation or fix it too.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,028 Ambassador

This is a known issue. I reported it during v15 beta testing (or shortly thereafter, I forget which), but was told that it wasn't pressing enough to warrant immediate correction. My hunch says that one of the next updates will address it.

• KeithAlexanderKeithAlexander Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

This significant bug is driving me around the bend, it seemingly starts at random and there seems to be no way to stop it other than restarting the application.

The worst thing is I have no idea what this ridiculous behaviour is even called and I have wasted hours searching and reading lots of irrelevant nonsense before finding this page.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,028 Ambassador

@KeithAlexander It's caused by dragging an effect from the Effects panel, but not dropping it onto a valid item on the timeline (I've primarily seen this with the main Editor timeline, and can't recall if it does the same thing in a composite shot).

This can be fixed without shutting down HitFilm. Go back to the Effects panel, and drag and drop an effect onto a timeline item successfully. It doesn't matter if you need that effect on that item or not. As long as you drop it onto an item, the position-driven scrolling will stop.