Mocha Pro is 50% off

CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
Because they are soon releasing v4 of mocha their is a sale.
Sale Prices: June 22

List Price

Sale Price

mocha Pro upgrade from Adobe After FX bundled

mocha AE CC (or mocha HitFilm) 

$795 

$397.50

mocha Pro (new full purchase)

$1495

$747.50

mocha Pro - Academic/EDU (with a valid student ID)

$199

$99.50

If you are interested in the academic discount you need to contact them at [email protected]
Mocha pro doesn't have a ton of use with Hitfilm, (at least not as much as AE) but its good enough to be worth 100$

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador
    Actually, Mocha Pro has a lot of use within Hitfilm--in some ways you have to jump through a couple of hoops, but, yeah.
    In AE for example, if you did a mocha track of a spline for masking, in AE, you'd get direct exports of the nulls. however, you can render out the splines as greyscale video for import into Hitfilm as a mask.
    Mocha also has the ability to render out video directly, so, while Hitfilm can't take mocha lens correct data if one wer doing a shot with sign or screen replacement, one could actually do the composite within mocha iteslef and render out for import to your Hitfilm timeline--same with things like object removal.
    I jumped on that special when they ran it last year. :-)
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    I looked at their show for mocha v4 and they now have more elements you can render out right inside mocha. My favorite is remove, and add. Basically add means that you can put fake elements on screens right inside mocha if you want. And I guess I'm assuming mocha can render it because it shows the final result while in mocha.

Also they seem to. Have an excursion delete tour.... If that was useable in hitfilm that would be pretty boss.

Oh and btw I am now a proud owner of mocha pro!
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador
    They had adding in objects in version 3--there's tutorials on it. I think what's new in v4 is that it will now attempt to auto-fill backgrounds without making a clean plate? The one problematic thing about mocha is that the online documentation isn't very extensive.
    However, I already have a thread going that will pont you to imagineer's large library of online tuts.
    http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/4955-imagineers-mocha-help/?hl=%2Bimagineer+%2Btutorials#entry39676

I looked at their show for mocha v4 and they now have more elements you can render out right inside mocha. My favorite is remove, and add. Basically add means that you can put fake elements on screens right inside mocha if you want. And I guess I'm assuming mocha can render it because it shows the final result while in mocha. Also they seem to. Have an excursion delete tour.... If that was useable in hitfilm that would be pretty boss. Oh and btw I am now a proud owner of mocha pro!
  • MandalorianMandalorian Website User Posts: 79
    In AE for example, if you did a mocha track of a spline for masking, in AE, you'd get direct exports of the nulls. however, you can render out the splines as greyscale video for import into Hitfilm as a mask.

One thing to note about rendering out your rotos from mocha is that it can have trouble with very small details and motion blur.  I don't know if they've fixed it for V4 or not, but in V2 and 3, when rendering out just the rotos, I saw odd blocking artifacts on small, sharp corners as well as at intersecting points when motion blur was active.
      Because of this, we now just export all the splines to whatever program we're using for compositing.  I don't know if you can import mocha splines with Hitfilm or not, but if you can, that would be the better option IMO.  Just keep that in mind.

One thing to note about rendering out your rotos from mocha is that it can have trouble with very small details and motion blur.  I don't know if they've fixed it for V4 or not, but in V2 and 3, when rendering out just the rotos, I saw odd blocking artifacts on small, sharp corners as well as at intersecting points when motion blur was active.
      Because of this, we now just export all the splines to whatever program we're using for compositing.  I don't know if you can import mocha splines with Hitfilm or not, but if you can, that would be the better option IMO.  Just keep that in mind.
    That would indeed be a better option, but I don't believe Hitfilm supports the splines. I am fairly certain the only things you can directly export to Hitfilm from Mocha are the camera solve data, trackings nulls and tracking nulls for moving objects tracked after a camera solve, as covered by Axel Wilkinson in his three-part energy ball tutorial.
    Still, Mocha Pro's ability to render video of roto splines, lens corrected footage, or object removal/replacement footage makes it a useful tool for any Hitfilm artist, and, if you also have AE, Nuke, etc, then Mocha Pro is even more useful.
    Too bad the sale is over!
    Caleb, did you do the "full upgrade" or the "academic upgrade?" I ask because with most companies the academic version doesn't include discounts on version upgrades--you'll have a perfect copy of Mocha Pro free, but won't get the upgrade discount for Mocha Pro 4 if Imagineer follows standard business models. That's the trade-off for paying less-than-ten percent of normal retail.
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Yes unfortunately upgrades will sting my pocketbook.  But i am satisfied with what is seen in v4 they seem to have everything i need.  Of course they will come up with some new revolutionary upgrade but oh well.
    Now the about it being version 3 i was extremely extremely surprised.  Because if i was a company i would not give them a smokin sale like that with a free upgrade, yet on the email they say that you can upgrade for free.  I have to check the email daily because i cant trust my memory for this kind of stuff.  However if im reading it right, it says.
    Every sale purchase will receive a free upgrade
    to mocha Pro v4, which ships in the next few weeks!
    i'm reading it right? right??? It genuinely surprises me.
    Needless to say you should really add yourself to the mocha email list.  They rarely send me emails... like ever but when they do it is usually an extremely Every sale purchase will receive a free upgrade
    to mocha Pro v4, which ships in the next few weeks pleasant surprise.
    Hey, if you get a free upgrade to v4, that's fan-flipping-tastic! I certainly don't mind being wrong about that assumption!
    I'm on Mocha's email list and am looking forward to v4, although I'm not certain if I'm going to buy yet. I'll wait for the full list of new features first. A lot of what Mary Poplin discussed at NAB as new features doesn't apply to my work since I don't use Fusion/Nuke, etc, and I can't afford at this point to upgrade everything I have--for example, right now I'd rather put away money to add the Hitfilm Plug-Ins to my Vegas set-up than upgrade my BCC 8 to BCC 9.
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    I bought mine a few months ago, and if I remember right, it even said it includes a free upgrade to version 4, though I don't remember where I saw it.
    For anyone that does have Mocha Pro for windows, I do have a reasonably simple tool that will let you get tracking data (without doing a camera solve) and corner pin data from Mocha Pro to Hitfilm.
    http://community.hitfilm.com//index.php?/topic/5177-exporting-tracking-data-from-mocha-pro-to-htfilm-without-a-camera-solve/
  • MandalorianMandalorian Website User Posts: 79
    That would indeed be a better option, but I don't believe Hitfilm supports the splines. I am fairly certain the only things you can directly export to Hitfilm from Mocha are the camera solve data, trackings nulls and tracking nulls for moving objects tracked after a camera solve, as covered by Axel Wilkinson in his three-part energy ball tutorial.
    Still, Mocha Pro's ability to render video of roto splines, lens corrected footage, or object removal/replacement footage makes it a useful tool for any Hitfilm artist, and, if you also have AE, Nuke, etc, then Mocha Pro is even more useful.

Dang, having direct spline import would be a wonderful thing.  And while Mocha does render out the rotos like you said, that's what I was describing before.  It will get the job done, but you have to be careful since Mocha's internal rendering engine has trouble handling small details and overlapping motion blur.  They are aware of this problem, and hopefully it will be fixed in V4.  For larger shapes without little details, it works fine.
    I definitely agree that those other capabilities of Mocha Pro (object removal/replace, etc.) are awesome.  I haven't had the chance to use them really in my work, but seeing it in action is incredible.  It is a great tool, and it makes roto a very easy task compared to other applications.