How do I add transitions to Editor in Hitfilm Express?

fxhomer30406fxhomer30406 Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
edited August 26 in HitFilm

I just started working with HitFilm and while there's a lot to learn, I'm loving it so far.

However, I've been attempting to add transitions to clips I imported from OBS (Window capture) and they all have the chain link icon on each of the clips that don't permit me to add transitions; I can do basic editing but no overlays like transitions.

Can someone educate me what I need to do in order to add transitions? Thanks, y'all.

Answers

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

The chain link icon has nothing to do with transitions. Unlinking or breaking the chain allows you to move the audio and video components of a clip independently of each other.

Transitions require unused media frames in the clip. Think of it this way. Let's say you have two clips. You have place the entirety of both on the timeline so the very last frame of clip A meets the very first frame of clip B.

The join between them - where you drag the transition to - is the MIDDLE of the transition.

In this example the transition won't work. There are no frames of Clip A after the midpoint and no frames of Clip B before the midpoint. There's nothing to transition between.

If you cut off the last second of clip A and the first second of Clip B, move them together and add the transition it will work. You've left frames to transition between.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,029 Ambassador

Some transitions (e.g. audio fade, cross-dissolve) will work without an adjacent clip. Just drop it on the end of a clip and it'll transition to nothing (e.g. cross-dissolve will fade to black, audio fade will fade to silence).

• fxhomer30406fxhomer30406 Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I appreciate the quick response; thanks!

@Triem23 - I'm a little confused how the proposed solution is any different than butting two clips together (no gaps). Are they supposed to overlap? I r corn-fused!

Given what you said about not being able to cross-fade when there's nothing in between two clips, how do I insert a black space and cross-fade between the three segments when I cut them precisely when I wanted them to end? Otherwise, I either fade out something I want to be seen or I include a trailing and leading segment that I don't want to be seen.

Thanks again.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,029 Ambassador

Changing this thread to the "Question" type, so we can better track the answer.