[FEATURE] Markers on the Editor timeline

JavertValbarr
JavertValbarr StaffAdministrator, Website User Posts: 322 Staff
edited August 2020 in HitFilm

The ability to press a keyboard shortcut (even while playback is running) and have HitFilm put down a marker at that point in time.

Markers can be extended to cover a time range, have notes/titles for easy readability, and can change color.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
  • Potter_Productions
    Potter_Productions Website User Posts: 26 Enthusiast

defo, would save those small stops in playback when u accidently clicked something or when u just want to look at something else

• RNade_
    RNade_ Website User Posts: 13 Just Starting Out

And most important: if you put a marker on a clip and then you need to create a composite from that clip that marker has to be importend in the new composition to help you out with editing. I love to use markers to just point where the effect has to start/end and it will be impossible to do it if the marker stay only in the editor timeline.

• lyme74
    lyme74 Website User Posts: 7 Just Starting Out

Is it possible to create a mark on the timeline?

I know that label can be added to tracks with colours

But what I mean is adding a precise mark on timeline

So that I may create marks on first time I watch the whole clip

Then on the second time, I may refer to the mark description and click to direct there and edit from there

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

@lyme74 I've merged your thread with this older one with the same feature request.

Please make certain to check the Feature Request forum before posting to avoid duplicates.

In the meantime, make certain to click "Vote Up" under Javert's post at the top of the thread. 😊

• Fatal_Funk
    Fatal_Funk Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I have made my vote in the forums for this feature, This is the diagram I sent FX Home, fingers crossed.

• datoaliffalex
    datoaliffalex Website User Posts: 19 Just Starting Out*

I'm using VEGAS POST Suite software, so VEGAS Effects is technically the same software with Hitfilm Pro.

Can we have simple "marker" features in the compositing timeline? I used it alot when editing with VEGAS Pro NLE, would be nice to have small marker inside VEGAS Effects/Hitfilm as guidance/indication inside the timelime.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,854 Ambassador

@datoaliffalex I merged your request into the same feature request by Javert from August 25. Go to the top and upvote his request along with the rest of our upvotes. Thanks for you contribution. Hopefully, we can get the attention of the developers!

• PrincessTissy
    PrincessTissy Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

Being able to have a marker on the editor timeline would be great! In audio editing software, you can mark the overall timeline. Many people use it as a reference point to slice a track, but honestly, markers are helpful to everyone.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,682 Moderator

@PrincessTissy I merged your suggestion into this one that already existed. Be sure to scroll up to the first comment and click Vote Up to help show interest to the devs.

• PPRMO
    PPRMO Website User Posts: 16 Just Starting Out*

oh god yes! Its such a pain to use plane as a marker. Most of the time it just gets lost in the timeline when the project is big. It would be so much easier if we had markers like every other editing program has. Upvoted!

• synclab
    synclab Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

I must join this quest to have markers not just one and a marker ruler markers should be ale to be renamed also commands to quickly navigate thru them and/or a markers list panel where you could see the the markers name and time. with the possibility of editing both values and them to be reflected on the markers and viceversa. please please.

Also if that is implemented a context menu (right click over the marker ruler between 2 markers to select 'set in/out to markers' ) command for setting the export selection, and while we are there a cut variant of same command. Those could improve the editing navigating work flow IMHO. :)

• mabdelbary
    mabdelbary Website User Posts: 17 Just Starting Out*

Add several markers to the Editor Timeline or the preview window with the ability of creating comments in different colors. Also, to snap to these markers.

Thanks

• Triem23

@mabdelbary I have merge your thread with this existing one. Remember to vote up at the top! 👍

• Anhoeng
    Anhoeng Website User Posts: 97 Enthusiast

I would love to see this in a composite shot as well as the editor timeline

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,016 Ambassador

Voted up. Yeah, on the timeline and in Comp Shots.

• candel
    candel Website User Posts: 0
    edited March 20

Hello there!

I'm learning Hitfilm Express and can't find how can I put markers on the timeline. Can you tell me please, what's the key for placing markers on the timeline or is there that feature in this software? If there isn't this function in the Hitfilm, what plugin can I use to overcome the problem, because it's very inconvenient to work without markers.

Thanks.

UPD: Sorry for my English. It's not my mother tongue.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,682 Moderator
    edited March 20

@candel Don't beat yourself up looking. 😁 At the moment Markers are not a feature of Hitfilm (Pro or Express) but it is a frequently requested topic. I am going to merge your comment into the existing request and do go to the first post here and click upvote so your support for it will be counted.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 339 Enthusiast

FXHome please, I understand you have a triage when it comes to features, but this is an extremely requested quality of life feature, and it's been so for years. If it's in the back burner, please move it to the front burner. I can't tell you how annoying it is when I'm trying to set up keyframes in a comp. I have to open an endless sub menus to finally see the keyframes of the first effect then scroll down and hope I don't accidentally move the cursor. You know what would make something like this a lot easier? Markers that are easily snapped onto. Not to mention the countless other things they are useful for.

PLEASE 🙏

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,818 Staff

@Dimipapa There probably hasn't been a huge amount of official activity in the comments here, since it's not something we can often easily contribute to - but I'd like to assure yourself and others that we are keeping an eye on the requests here and reading every request that's made.

The number of upvotes on this is wild, and I can understand why, so please rest assured that we are doing lots of work behind the scenes to see what we can do for features yourself and others are requesting.

I'd like to add it's also really helpful to see all of you so passionate about things, it really helps us out and hopefully with your suggestions we can truly make HitFilm the best it can be.