Camera for light sabers

CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
edited June 2014 in General
I was imagining how nice it would be to have a camera that could shoot at 30-60 fps with a really high shutter speed so their is no motion blur (I think hitfilm can add motion blur afterwards). Now I know high shutter speeds mean less light soo. Is their a video camera that can do that?

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Yes, any camera in the world can shoot at high shutter speeds, if you use enough light.  But...
    Lightsabers without motion blur will not look good.  Period.  Our subconscious minds know how an image created with a camera should look, and we know that a lightsaber being swung around (if they existed) would appear blurred as it moved.  Trying to bypass that and remove the blur will make the effect look 'off', it will just feel wrong.  Trying to add the blur back in after the fact is just adding more work, for an inferior result.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador
    I think Caleb is thinking that, if he shot with a high shutter speed and eliminated blur, he'd be able to track a saber without having to roto the blade (maybe using lightning to procedurally create the glow?)
    As Axel correctly notes, lightsabers without Blur look terrible, and I don't think the Motion Blur effect will give the vibrant look of a lightsaber.
    Even Lucasfilm does lightsabers via roto.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    If the goal is to avoid roto, avoid lightsabers. They go hand in hand. However, if the goal is to get a "cleaner" roto, then I can understand, but it really makes things harder. I have shot some lightsaber stuff on high shutter speeds in the last couple months and the end result was awful because the lightsaber had no "tail" as it moved. This meant I had to add that "tail" based on how fast I thought it was moving, and I was not so good at judging. So I suggest shoot at regular shutter speeds (I shoot somewhere between 60-90 at 30fps). Shooting 24p would probably give you the best look.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited June 2014
    Side note: I've always understood that the most "cinematic" motion blur is achieved by having the shutter speed be double your frame rate.  So like Matthias said, if you're shooting 30p then set your shutter speed to 60.