3d without glasses roundup

CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
I am just curious about what you think of these devices specifically the sony 4k curved tv.
Sony 4k curved tv
I you have not seen one of these get to a bestbuy or equivalent store and see them! Goodness gracious their gorgeous! You look at them and your immersed and it looks 3d without glasses. Now it's not extreme but just enough and it looks awesome!
However I have some questions
1. They say they can take HD videos and "enhance them" so they are 4k. Now if the tv had a crazy processor behind it I could see that as a possibility... Yet still you can't make up new information in an image without guesswork right?
2. They claim they "sense" the layers in the film then "enhance them" to look 3d. Btw these are not 3d blu ray disks. What say you about that!
New amazon device
Now I don't know how big amazon is to you in the uk however here it's a big deal expecially since amazon headquarters is only 1.5 miles away. I am so excited for tomorrow because their releasing a new device that they showed a corner of last week. And when I whent to try to get invited they asked "would you be interested in utilizing a device with a new type of sensor". Now also looking at the trailer and how peoples heads move I would say it is head coupled perspective.
Head coupled perspective is where a device takes your eyes and their location and changes the perspective of the 3d space based on that. I have been following head coupled perspective for about 3.5 years watching developments and waiting for some company to make money on it. And I think amazon is finally doing it! Unlike other 3d displays this one doesn't hurt abit (I find it soothing) and the 3d can pop out a large amount (impossible on other types of 3d) until the object hits the side of the screen breaking the illusion, and it can go in quite a ways. Basically this is the cleanest 3d without glasses device I've seen. To experience head coupled perspective theirs an app called i3d (free) for ios that does a really laggy job of it, and some youtube videos do it some serious justice.
This device is rumored to have 4 infrared cameras on the front to sense what's in its space, so it might also do gestures.
1. Some 3d devices (3ds) that do glasses free well have been completely ignored do you think amazon will work it out?
2. How will apple and Samsung be able to make glasses free 3d now that amazon has the patent?
3. Do you think this 3d spacial viewing will allow filmmakers to mask and cg light real world charecters?
Nintendo 3ds
I have one I think their awesome the 3d works really well and stops hurting after 1.5 months. The only disadvantage I see is it has a small sweet spot.
1. Why haven't other company been successful in making a display like this.
AR glasses such as the oculus rift
I don't think I need to explain these.
1. Do you think we might all be wearing something like this some day?
2. From a film makers standpoint possibly does the way they process the world help out?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    I haven't seen the Sony curved TV so I can't comment on that.
    4K Upscaling: Well, you're right--you can't create new information from a lower resolution image--however, you can interpolate: So if I have a raw black pixel next to a raw white pixel, as we upscale, the chances are it's going to put a 50% grey in there. Upscaling and interpolation is getting pretty good, actually--let's look at Hitfilm, for example, you can scale up 1080 footage a fairly good amount before you start seeing any kind of fuzz from the interpolation--when you're scaling up a 1920x1080 image to a "4K" image, it's going up to 3840x2160--this is like blowing up 1080 footage to 200% in Hitfilm. Now, factor in that the 4K TV is 50" across, but you're likely looking at it from 10 feet away, and, well... you're not really going to see much interpolation fuzz.
    "Interpolation" of 3D? Hmmm... tricky. Just a guess, but it may be doing something with optical flow and planar tracking--looking at pixel movement and assuming things are parallaxing. I think that's mostly how post-conversion for features is done. Some shots it can look cool, some shots it's going to look terrible.
    I haven't seen the amazon device, so, no comment.
    EDIT Ok, I read about the Amazon phone. From the articles I read it doesn't seem to be a stereo display (different images to different eyes), but using sensors to adjust the screen display to fake parallax as the phone moves--but these articles are still pre-release guesses, so we'll see...
    Apple and Samsung can still try for glasses-free 3D even if Amazon holds the patent--they can either pay Amazon some money, or they can find another way--remember that a patent SHOULDN'T be a global concept (Glasses-free 3D), but should be of a particular METHOD of doing something (Whatever Amazon is doing). This brings me to the 3DS
    The 3DS is using a lenticular display--this means it's basically splitting the screen into "stripes" and using a series of small lenses to direct the strips. This tech goes back to the 1940s, and is the same thing you see on a 3D poster or 3D book cover, and is also the same trick used on "changing" or "animated" posters--like the "Species II" poster where you see Natasha Henstridge, or her monster form, depending on the angle you view the poster as. The reason the 3DS has a small "sweet spot" is because of the limitations of lenticular images--the whole thing is built around micro lenses directing things to a specific focus. Great for a handheld, but I doubt it would be effective for a full TV display.
    The first phone with a 3D display was a Sharp phone released in Japan in 2002. The first 3D display smartphone released in America was the HTC EVO 3D in 2011. All the 3D display phones released to date have been lenticulars.
    One thing about a lenticular image is that it cuts your resolution in half because you have to split your image into stripes for the lenses to re-focus. This is likely a primary reason lenticular screens haven't been more widely used as display devices.
    Another issue with 3D is you still have a certain amount of the population that can't see it--maybe blind in one eye, or something. With 3D movies, you also have a certain amount of the population that get motion sickness and/or headaches from the process. Our eyes are built to focus on a certain point and use parallax cues to generate depth. 3D glasses and glasses-free 3D trick our brains into perceiving depth, but it's not working the way our brain works, which is why some people have these side effects. Still, depending on who's estimates you read, between 30-40% percent of people can't deal with 3D, whether from vision problems, headaches or motion sickness--this is another reason 3D is slow to penetrate the market; it's hard to make something a new "standard" when almost half your potential customer can't use or don't want to use you product--a couple years ago and NAB and E3 EVERYTHING was 3D this, 3D that... This year it's all about 4K.
    AR/VR glasses: Well, we've been working on that since the 1980's. I think eventually that kind of technology will hit mass-market, but it's not there yet. At the moment it's still too bulky, heavy and uncomfortable over extended periods to wear, but, as display tech, processing tech and batteries get smaller and lighter, eventually we'll get to the point where the tech can fit into something about the size and weight of a pair of wraparound safety goggles. Every decade there seems to be one company trying to push forward with the tech. Right now it's Occulus. Whether or not they succeed with this iteration, I don't know, but it will happen. And, of course, Google Glass is a step in that direction.Whether or not goggles become a primary display, I can't speculate. I don't think monitor displays will ever go away--if nothing else, there are going to be times when I don't want my entire field of view obscured by display.
    From a film-maker's perspective... well, it can certainly be helpful in many ways--take a look at the special features for Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings!" They created a rig where Jackson could wear a 3D display feeding him the environment and character animation and they gave him a box which was motion-tracked in real time--basically he'd put on goggles and point a virtual camera (the box) around to pick angles and record camera moves! So there's already practical use for the tech. I can see goggle being used on-set with 3D cameras as real-time feedback to make certain you have your depth dialed in correctly!
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    your knowledge my knowledge  average persons knowledge
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    You compliment me sir. ;-) I think you might have the text for "[my] knowledge" a little too large. Some of it's age and experience--remember, I'm a grumpy old guy who's probably been doing this longer than you've been alive. :-) But in ten years, you'll be just about to move into your prime, while I will start declining. ;-)