Best Fille Format for editing in After Effects and transfer to FCP?

Hey guys,
So I'm not an avid AE user, and I'm actually not too sure which codec I should be actually be editing with. The plan is to add some simple text and then export the file which will be put back into FCP 7 and exported with the rest of the project. The file that I have in my FCP timeline right now is ProRes 422. Is that proper for AE? What do you guys think would be the best codec to use for minimal resolution loss? What should my export settings be?
I've tried looking this up in other forums, but I guess im not wording my searches right because I can't come up with something that's terribly relevant to my situiation.
What do you guys think?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,259 Staff
    No codec in the word will give you resolution loss.  Resolution is the number of pixels, which isn't a function of codec, its something you specify in your export settings.  ProRes is among the best codecs out there for any editing task.  What problems is it giving you in AE?
    Also, I assume you have considered and decided against creating the titles in FCP directly, but have you considered exporting only the titles from AE, and comping them onto your original footage in FCP, so you don't have to go through generational rendering of your footage?
  • It wasn't giving me any problems, I just wanted to make sure that it was going to give me the best image quality. I hadn't considered just doing the text in AE and then dropping it into FCP, that might be better. Would I just export the text as a PNG and then drop it on my timeline?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,259 Staff
    I assume the text is using some fancy animation, since you aren't creating the text in FCP?  So a PNG image sequence would work, or export to a video file with embedded alpha, which should be fine too.