New Releases: HitFilm 15 and Imerge Pro 7 are NOW LIVE!

StevenSpicer
StevenSpicer StaffPosts: 47 Staff

It's the moment you've all been waiting for! HitFilm 15 and Imerge Pro 7 are both officially live.

HitFilm 15 has some really exciting new features like automatic video stabilization, faster, easier-to-use motion tracking, selective color adjustments, and brand new mask shapes.

In Imerge, we've added powerful new features like HDR merging, focus stacking and all-new layer presets to help you get the most out of the software.

Learn more about the updates over on the blog:

HitFilm 15 Release Blog

Imerge Pro 7 Release Blog

Or download the update now for HitFilm Pro or Imerge Pro.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Yay!

One small thing the Imerge release blog doesn't mention is that the Curves filter now works in the LAB color mode. You devs know from the Beta test blog how happy that made me, and why... For everyone else, Google "Man From Mars Photoshop" to learn an amazing technique that can adjust your color and contrast in one step. This technique is now far faster and easier to use in Imerge than Photoshop or Affinity...

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,033 Staff

@Triem23 It should be covered in the full "what's new" notes for the release, there are a lot of things missing from the HitFilm release blog too, too many brilliant changes to fit into one blog.

• Triem23

@TheBenNorris True that! Quite a few of the changes in HF 15 weren't in the brief list sent out to the beta testers. There were a few surprises in the release notes. Lovin' the changes to how image sequences are handled, since I often render out "Library/stock" assets as PNG sequences.

But it's also fair to point out the "Man from Mars" technique, because it's quite powerful - often the only "artistic" edit I make to an image, and the specific reason I was so thrilled about that feature.

That and the blazing fast HDR merging and Export presets. Photomatix Pro 6 remains my favorite tool for HDR processing, but Imerge is so much faster at the merge it's nice to do the merge in Imerge and export EXR for Photomatix 6. 30-45 seconds per image speed difference adds up REAL fast when batching 200 brackets.

Hope the rest of the community is as chuffed for the new versions as I am. I'm sure you understand the Beta tester's lament - you wanna tell everyone how cool it's gonna be, but you can't!

• TheBenNorris

@Triem23 I know how it feels to know about all of the cool upcoming features and be unable to say anything! Can't wait for the community to get their hands on 15 and everything we make in the future.

• I'm excited, although I just re-installed HitFilm Pro 14 last night, due to Windows 10 eating itself several times.
  • alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Posts: 516 Enthusiast

Wow! just been running some tests and that new tracker is awesome! add masking to that and we wont need Mocha anymore (hint hint?)

• FrostDrive
    FrostDrive Posts: 61 Just Starting Out*
    This is so awesome!!! I think I read somewhere that the zooming on timeline is better? I noticed it!! THANK YOU!!!
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

"I think I read somewhere that the zooming on timeline is better? I noticed it!!"

Yeah, virtual backflip here on this one. Virtual since I am too tall and old to attempt a real one. 

The pan/crop should be nice/easier/(more visual) for Ken Burns like slideshow type stuff.

Still a ways to go on the editing side of things.

• tomkane18
    tomkane18 Posts: 33 Enthusiast
    Looking forward to trying the Color Adjustment effect.
    WAV audio export was a pleasant surprise.
    Nice job guys and gals! (as usual)
  • NormanPCN

"Looking forward to trying the Color Adjustment effect."

It looks good. I like the 2D color range selection box it offers. Should give nice control to isolate that which you want to tweak.

As Bowie once said, Wham bam thank you...

• vodny
    vodny Posts: 1
    Is it possible in HitFilm Express 15 record sound while playing the content - like doing a live commentary?
  • My fave is the WAV export feature!?
  • Triem23

@NormanPCN yup. The Color Adjustment is that Secondary Color Correction Hitfilm needed beautifully implemented with an intuitive interface. ? It can really dial in a precise range quickly. 

One thing that threw me in testing is the eyedropper is selecting Hue only. You will likely have to do a vertical stretch with the box-select to really dial in your color, but, once you know the behavior it's super fast to refine. I'm sure Tom or Javert will discuss that in the inevitable tutorial. 

@vodny you cannot directly record audio (or video) directly into Hitfilm, but I'm sure the devs will treat your question as a feature request and I'll "+1" it. ?

• TheBenNorris

@Triem23 @NormanPCN if you think the eyedropper should select more than hue feel sure to let us know. The main reason for this is that the hue (in the controls at least) cycles endlessly, whilst the lightness has a defined top and bottom, so it's harder to shift up/down without messing with the lightness bounds you've set.

• Triem23

@TheBenNorris I don't think that saturation or lightness need to be sampled as such. You may remember we discussed this in testing with a couple of sample images. It's just knowing the eyedropper samples hue only and may need refinement. But the vertical drag is super-fast to do. As I keep saying Javert/Tom will cover it in the tutorial, and, once a user knows how the effect is thinking they can quickly adjust. Sounds like you're saying having the eyedropper take luma value could cause other coding issues. Better not to change something that's working correctly as designed. That one really is a fast, powerful, easy to use filter, and my compliments to whoever coded it.

• TheBenNorris

@Triem23 my main concern was changes would more need a re-think of the math on how the box is positioned. I worked closely with Javert when adding this effect (which is already in Imerge!) so hopefully it does get used in a tutorial.

• Triem23

@TheBenNorris I'm totally sure @JavertValbarr will prep a tutorial on the Color Adjustment effect. A common wishlist item has been for a "Secondary Color Corrector" and the Color Adjustment effect fulfills that request - that's really what it's doing, except you're using the box selector instead of the more usual color wheel. :)

• iCan
    iCan Posts: 1
    Please make a comprehensive tutorial on creating video overlays on HitFilm Express. I mean how to have the audio one video talking while another video is playing over it. I really need this badly.
    Thank you in advance!
  • tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@iCan While this is so far from a comprehensive tutorial is laughable, it may help you out in the immediate time while one of the tutorial guys can do a bang up job on one. (Those take time, I know!)

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador

@iCan The video from @tddavis shows basic overlay techniques in the editor. However, if you're looking for the technique where you have two adjacent clips on the timeline, and the video for the second clip begins while the former audio is continuing, that's called an L-cut. Its companion is called a J-cut, where the audio for the second clip starts sooner than its video begins.

Not sure that there's a need for an in-depth tutorial on that: hold the Alt (Mac: Option) key while you click and drag the edge of an item on the Editor timeline. Whichever part you click on—audio or video—will extend/retract, while the other part's length stays unchanged, even if they're linked. If your clips are already snapped adjacent to each other, you'll need to first make room on the audio track of one clip (clip 1 for a J-cut, clip 2 for an L-cut) before extending the audio of the other (clip 1 for an L-cut, clip 2 for a J-cut)

• CleverTagline

Almost forgot to do what I originally came here for: sing HitFilm 15's praises! The auto-stabilizer is beyond amazing. Apply it, dial in the amount of smoothness, and done. It took a very shaky outdoor shot I was given recently and made it cleaner than clean. I couldn't be happier with this update!

• alaska_vfx_filmer

Real quick here, I can start a thread if I need to, but it is somewhat on topic, any tips on removing the "jello" from the video, after its been through the stabilizer?

• NormanPCN

The jello is rolling shutter effects. More sophisticated stabilizers like Mercalli are needed to warp the frame to try and remove visible jello after stabilization. The jello is there even before stabilization. Just hard to see due to the shake. Mercalli can be twitchy in 'removing' jello. At least my experience with first person mountain bike footage with high frequency backgrounds (brush and trees). YMMV.

Of course, the only true way to avoid rolling shutter artifacts is to have a camera without a rolling shutter, or at least one with a fast enough readout to minimize the artifacts below some threshold. Or obviously capture less shaky media to start. Again, below some threshold.

• Triem23

@NormanPCN @LiamMcM1 Hitfilm has a Rolling Shutter correction (since HF3). Built in to Pro, Edit: Repair pack in Express.

Norman is correct, the best way to avoid rolling shutter is to use a global shutter camera, but good luck finding one. The majority of cameras these days are rolling shutter. 

• NormanPCN
    edited August 2020

Yes Hitfilm has an effect called rolling shutter. It may correct the side to side camera pan rolling shutter effect causing a tilt/angle to vertical lines/edges. It does not do anything about the other jello effects of rolling shutter.

It is also insanely slow making it functionally useless regardless of its abilities. Of course, one can always render an intermediate. In this case you really need to.

• alaska_vfx_filmer

Ahh, that's a bummer, I will play around with the rolling shutter, but I guess I will just have to be more careful how I shoot in low frame rate (24/25fps), still, the new stabilizer is an awesome tool that I expect to use a lot.

• Triem23

@LiamMcM1 one way to minimize rolling shutter is to raise shutter speed... If you're shooting with a 1/60 shutter speed then the roll takes 1/60th of a second. If you shoot at 1/500, then the roll takes 1/500th of a second. Of course, faster shutter speeds require more light, and high shutter speeds have little motion blur, which can give a stuttery look, but it might be useful information for you.

There are other software options for rolling shutter removal. Norman's mentioned two of them already. VirtualDub is a free option and has a Deshaker plug-in that can be used to remove rolling shutter if you're willing to pre-process footage before import to Hitfilm. On the off chance you're shooting something that's VFR VirtualDud can do the CFR transcode as well, so you'd be able to batch both pre-processing steps at one time.

• alaska_vfx_filmer

I have tried virtualdub before, and will probably use it again, 

As to shooting at higher shutter speeds, I'm personally shooting on a T3i, and am limited for the frame rate to shutter speed ratio, ([email protected]/[email protected] max), I know I can break the rule at need, but as you say, the results will be jittery.

• Triem23

@LiamMcM1 ah the good ol' T3i give it enough light and it shoots beautiful footage. I moved up to a 5DMkIV a couple years ago, so might be rusty, but I thought you could dial shutter speed to 1/2000 in movie mode? I can be wrong. You could just be talking the aesthetic choice. 

• CleverTagline

Getting back to one of 15's new features, the Crop / Pan & Zoom effect is both awesome and somewhat infuriating. I hadn't tried it before yesterday, and my first try at it wasn't at all successful. 

I was hoping to use this effect for easier panning & zooming on screen captured footage for a software demo, but I couldn’t figure out how to get it to cooperate. I want to start full frame for a few seconds, then push in on an area of interest and hold there for the rest of the time. Maybe this is a misinterpretation, but it feels like the effect automatically reads the clip's length and applies the pan/zoom across that length. I eventually found a button on the UI (it wasn't there on the first frame of the clip, which I found strange) to add a keyframe, but the keyframe data can't be seen or edited anywhere. It's a black box. If I'm doing a Ken Burns-style zoom and pan across a photo, or just a static crop and reframe, I can see this making the setup a lot easier, but I had hoped for uses beyond that, and it doesn't feel like that's the case.