Adventures In SketchUp

cluelessnubecluelessnube Website User Posts: 476 Just Starting Out

Ok,  so I haven't gotten this in to Hitfilm yet, but as a start here's what I'm working on in SketchUp.  This is a re-creation of a hippy house I built and  lived in for a couple years back in the 70's.

If I can get it in to Hitfilm (not sure yet how big a model I can import and work with) I can add some animated characters and maybe more interesting lighting.

https://vimeo.com/441388941

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,823 Ambassador

That is pretty cool. :) 

• cluelessnubecluelessnube Website User Posts: 476 Just Starting Out

@spydurhank - thanks, it was fun to recreate this part of my history.   

Since posting above I've added additional elements like a cat, a guitar, deer etc.

I've also been able to get an animated MakeHuman character in to the scene in Hitfilm, with thanks to everyone here who taught me how to do that.

It looks like bringing the entire 3D SketchUp scene in to Hitfilm isn't going to work on my nine year old Mac.  But I can bring a 2D video of the SketchUp scene in to Hitfilm and then add a limited amount of 3D content on top of that, such as a MakeHuman character.

I'm going to try adding a trail through the woods next, maybe to a lake or something.  Then the hippy man can go for a walk.   I haven't been able to find a marijuana joint 3D model yet though, and hippy man is kinda complaining about that.  :-)

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,823 Ambassador

@cluelessnube , That is awesome. No worries, I like how you're working with what you've got, great job at thinking creatively and working past your older hardware limitations. :) 

edited July 26

@spydurhank - Yea, I'm cobbling together what I can in free software of various flavors.   Necessity is the mother of invention etc.

However, I'm starting to wonder if I should be thinking bigger.   I've just begun to stick my nose in to Unreal Engine and Unity.   They're both free as you know, and I'm starting to think maybe they may be the best tools for what I'm trying to do.  

Here's one thing I like about SketchUp, it's very easy to animate the camera.  You navigate to a perspective you like, and then save it in a tab.  Then you save another perspective, and another etc.  Then the camera can automatically travel from scene to scene to scene, and you have super easy control over speed and pauses etc.   You could do the same thing in Hitfilm of course, but I find it easier in SketchUp.

Here's one of my favorite parts of  the SketchUp realm, the 3D Warehouse.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/?hl=en

As some of you know, I've been wrestling for a couple years now in various softwares trying to bring 3D models from multiple sources together in to scenes.   Huge hassle, leading to um, well, me being a huge hassle.

I'm glad I stuck with it though as finding SketchUp has solved this problem entirely.  SketchUp's 3D Warehouse is a huge collection of 3D models shared by SketchUp users.  I've explored a couple hundred of the models and have yet to find one that didn't easily work in SketchUp.   There seem to be no file transfer issues at all.  Finally!   

The Warehouse seems to have just about everything you could think of.   As example, I'm working on a nature scene right now and went looking for a model of a palmetto bush.  Who models palmetto bushes you might ask.  Well, somebody does, as even something that obscure was easy to find in the 3D Warehouse.

The models are from any SketchUp user so the quality does vary of course.   A rating system helps you sort through the pile.  Generally speaking, I've really not had much trouble finding models I like,  usually on the first page of a search. 

And the 3D Warehouse is free.   

I'm less clear on well these models will work in Hitfilm.  Due to my hardware limitations it's working better for me to import 2d video of SketchUp scenes in to Hitfilm instead of  the models themselves.

Exploring SketchUp

SketchUp has offerings at various price points, but for this post I'll assume you want to start with free.  There are two free options.

SketchUp Free - the free online version

SketchUp Make - the free downloadable software version (Win/Mac)

SketchUp Free seems to be a scaled back version of SketchUp Make, so I'd suggest you go with Make.  That's what I'm using.  The main advantage of SketchUp Free seems to be that you can access your models from any computer (with a net connection).

If you want assistance in learning SketchUp check out the excellent tutorials on YouTube by Justin Geis.    You can learn more about Justin on his website.   

I got started by watching his series for beginners here.   The first two videos should be enough to get you going.  

The SketchUp Community is also very helpful.

edited August 3

Here's hippy man from the Hippy House jogging through the campground commune I created for him in SketchUp.  

https://vimeo.com/444092251

Campground made in SketchUp.   Hippy man from MakeHuman, animated in Mixamo, placed in scene via Hitfilm.