Audio editing: ticking clock

lj86lj86 Website User Posts: 1

Hello, I have an audio recording (baby’s heartbeat) however, it is blighted by a ticking clock. I am in no way at all technical, but any recommendations much appreciated. My brother thinks it may have to remain “as is” as it would leave a strange pause between the heartbeats. Thank you!

Comments

• AramMAramM Website User Posts: 154 Enthusiast

Izotope RX or maybe manually delete the click and overwrite it with the sound of one of the "silent" parts of the clip.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,195 Moderator

@lj86 I am not at all conversant in this but I seem to think there is a method in Audacity where if you can get a sample of the ticking clock by itself you can use it to somehow filter that sound from your recording.  But as I say I have no experience at all in doing this.  @Triem23 is a sound guy, I am pretty sure, so maybe he can give details if I am recalling something correctly.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast
    edited June 11

You got it @tddavis

You can use the effect Noise Reduction to remove unwanted sounds

Select the audio clip. Highlight area to analyze.  Add the effect Noise Reduction. Select Get Noise Profile. Select entire audio clip again. Goto Effects/Noise Reduction again and select OK.

Clicking clock sound should be removed.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,195 Moderator
    edited June 11

@GrayMotion Thanks for confirming I wasn't in left field. @lj86 What he said ^^^ And, BTW, I should have mentioned that Audacity is a free program if you've never heard of it.

• AramMAramM Website User Posts: 154 Enthusiast

I have not used audacity for quite a while, so things may have changed, but the noise reduction tool in it used to be good for hums, hiss and other continuous, regular noises (think fridges and ACs) but not so much for a noise like a tick of a watch.  Please, let us know if it works, because I'd definitely be interested. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,308 Ambassador