This Is Beyond Obvious, But...

cluelessnubecluelessnube Website User Posts: 476 Just Starting Out

So I wanted to throw together a quick multi-layer image for posting on a forum.   So I fired up Gimp and started to edit and then....

Why not use Hitfilm?   Hey, a lot easier than Gimp!   I threw about 8 images together, did a little masking here and there, tossed in a dropshadow or two and was done.    Hitfilm as image editor.  Who knew?  Well, everyone but me, and now me too.

The only question I can think of is, how to export just a single image?  

I exported an image sequence and grabbed the first image, which works just fine.   Just takes a tad longer than  exporting a single image.

I wonder if a stripped down version of Hitfilm could be repackaged as a free basic image editor?  Maybe add a new feature or two from your other image editors.     With option to add Puppet for a price?

What I see missing from the FXhome line up are newbie friendly entry points.   Sometimes less is more, ya know?

Comments

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,308 Ambassador

@PhilTanny Under the Viewer Window is a Drop Down Menu called Options. Click on that and select "Export Frame."

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

Export Frame only exports PNG, which is usually fine. For other formats I've been known to do single frame Image Sequences. 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,308 Ambassador

I actually create all of my Youtube thumbnails with HitFilm... in the same project file as the tutorial! I create a new Composite Shot called "Thumbnail" and build it right there. After exporting the frame out as a PNG file, I simply use Paint to convert it to a smaller, JPG file.

I suppose you could set the In and Out points to a single frame and export the Image Sequence (one frame).

• cluelessnubecluelessnube Website User Posts: 476 Just Starting Out

@FilmSensei- thanks, that's easy enough!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

@FilmSensei I loaded up a project that had my cheesy scan line effect, did a "relink media" to the next tutorial, "Saved As" then found a good frame.

On the left, straight out of camera. On the right, handheld HDR processed in Photomatix 6, then finished in Hitfilm Pro for an engagement shoot. Huh. Long time ago now!

https://flic.kr/p/QaGctC

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,195 Moderator

@Triem23 Would that program be useful for taking a series of like 34-36 photos in a 360 pattern three times around at level, 45 d up and 45 d down and stitching them into a 360 HDR?  I've looked at a couple of free ones but they don't cut it.