graphic novel software

mikeQ76
mikeQ76 Posts: 65
I have a few ideas for graphic novels, and a really good artist friend, has anyone any ideas what would be a good program to be able to manipulate the images into the style of a graphic novel.

Comments

• Well it depends on how you want your images to appear in their final form.
    You can scan sketches, and then colorize them in Photoshop.
    Some people take their sketches into illustrator and ink, then colorize.
    It is an art form just manipulating the original art to a final form.
    Also you can take images (even photos) and stylize then, then add text balloons.
    If you provide a few more details about the art you have, and what you want it to look like in final form, I could give you some technical details on a workflow.
    I have a digital pre-press & art background.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    I'm currently writing a comic book script and was wondering about specific workflow for the artwork, so would be interested in any tips. :)
  • Tigrestripe
    Tigrestripe Posts: 9 Enthusiast

I have a few ideas for graphic novels, and a really good artist friend, has anyone any ideas what would be a good program to be able to manipulate the images into the style of a graphic novel.
    How about this, http://store.smithmicro.com/productDetails.aspx?id=679 And for scripting before
    the artwork begins. http://www.celtx.com/index.html
    Tigrestripe
  • A basic workflow would be...
    Script
    Storyboard
    Penciling
    Inking
    Colorization
    Text Balloons
    Composite / Page Layout
    Print or distribute digitally
    I would suggest you write the script, then story board it to see if you can see how many images it will take to tell the story. Then the artist will translate that into artwork based on the style they use.
    The art could be physical and it would need to be scanned.
    The art could be digital to begin with.
    Some artists do their penciling, then scan that, then ink it in Adobe illustrator..
    Then an artist will colorize it. This step can give the comic a defined look and feel, so it is very important.
    Text balloons can be created in illustrator or Photoshop.
    Composite & Page layout activity can be down in a variety of prepress programs.
    The key thing to remember that you keep the text and the graphic separate till layout so if you have to scale the art, you don't scale the text. The text must be readable at all times, and you don't want it to be pixelized.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Any tips on general resolution/size of the drawings? If you're drawing for a standard comic book page, for example, using real media (ie not digital), what size should you do it at?
  • dumaschris
    dumaschris Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

Clip Studio Paint is designed to specifically create comics and novels. It has some of the best Photoshop features and more. I use it regularly. There is a Pro version, but the EX version has more options.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Inc-CLSPE1HDVD/dp/B01F70HHBC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490238386&sr=8-3&keywords=clip+studio+paint+pro

• DannyDev
    DannyDev Staff Posts: 337 Staff

@HitFilmer120747

This thread is 5+ years old.

This discussion has been closed.