Jurassic Monument

Hi all,

I've been a bit of a lurker, but I've been coming to the forums for quite some time picking up knowledge along the way. I've finally finished my first major project which had its inception on a camping trip at Dinosaur National Monument a couple years ago.   Basic premise:  What starts as normal hike, turns into an adventure!

https://youtu.be/JUqKCzTngpg

Just wanted to say thanks to community for all the tutorials and info contained on the forums. It's been really useful.

-Mark

Comments

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Posts: 989 Enthusiast

Fantastic stuff. Really well presented and looks a lot of fun.
    Love the sequence at 11:30 ish and nice ending too. Who knows where they will go next?

• OliThompson
    OliThompson Staff Posts: 154 Staff
    edited June 2020

@ThreeSonsWorkshop This is just absolutely brilliant! Great story, a fantastic group of actors, along with a solid edit and VFX work. I'm excited to see what you create in the future!

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 646 Enthusiast

Nicely done @ThreeSonsWorkshop.

Very effective in making us believe the three boys were trekking all on their own! :-)

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,113 Expert

Outstanding. What a wonderful time watching!

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert

@ThreeSonsWorkshop Some great VFX there at the end, but an Empire style ending???  Hope the sequel isn't too long a wait. :)

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Posts: 535 Enthusiast

Vary impressive, and vary cute three little explorers, absolutely blown away by some of those matched in vfx dinoes,  all around fun.

• Thanks for all the kind comments.  Unfortunately I think the sequel is pretty far off.  The boys and I are still just trying to figure out what genre  we want to tackle next.  I think they're leaning towards fantasy.  Since I was able  pull off the dinosaurs in this one, they now think I can do anything like huge LotR style battles... I guess it'd be an interesting challenge.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,401 Ambassador

Really enjoyed this, looked like a film and nice use of VFX elements to enhance the story and drama. Some great use of masking a couple of scenes must of been pretty challenging. Tell the boys they did well, nice acting. What camera was this shot on, looks nice and smooth.

Well done.

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Posts: 989 Enthusiast
    edited June 2020

Maybe into space, alien invasion or under the sea?

Not sure how scary it can be but a giant and fighting skeletons (thinking Jason and the Argonauts)

• ThreeSonsWorkshop
    edited June 2020

@Andy001z

The camera setup was fairly modest, it was shot almost entirely on an iPhone 6+.   I did use a Canon SX50 for the crazy zoom in of river valley when they first see the dinos . But other than that, it is just an old Iphone using Filmic Pro.

@DafterThings

You're not far off the mark.  The boys were asking if we could do a skeleton army.  So I guess  they want to do Army of Darkness... but for kids!

• Andy001z

Looks great, and the good weather helped with the sensor grabbing all that detail. Did you render the dino photo scene or is that from a game or something?

• tddavis

@Andy001z I wondered the same thing.  The filter on it was perfect if rendered and animated by @ThreeSonsWorkshop and the movements were incredible.

• @Andy001z

@tddavis

So for the 3 camera perspective shots, the first two started as shots from an actual camera, the Canon sx50  which is one of their  "super-zooms" (it's not the camera my son is holding in the movie).  The third one(tric vs trex) was a panorama of  stitched frames from another unused  video. For that one, I hand animated the camera movement  and tried to simulate the same weighted movement/shakiness of the first two. I also tried to mimic the blurriness/refocusing  behavior  when the zoom changes.

I tracked the footage of the first 2  shots so I could add the dinos, other FX, etc.  So for the dinos themselves, I did not do any of their modeling or animation.  They came primarily  from two sources: an app called Efexio and captured game footage from Jurassic Park Evolution.   So coming from those two sources, I effectively had "key-able" dino footage which I then composited in...  and tweaked and tweaked them until I got happy with the shots.

To finish the effect, I pixelated ithem, added scanlines, and the camera HUD. 

• Andy001z

Excellent work.

• tddavis

Yes, what Andy001z said.  It was well blended.

• benedict_roffmarsh
    benedict_roffmarsh Posts: 54 Enthusiast

Nice work.

I was a little worried that your use of studio assets might get you in trouble, esp these days when everyone is vigilant about the copyright thing. We looked into it for "Daedalus In Danger" and made sure we abided by the studio's rules (even tho it made us change some things incl my intent to be closer to some Trekkie musical motifs).

:-)

• @benedict_roffmarsh

I get your trepidation since Star Trek/Paramount  have very specific rules when it comes to fan films due to the fallout from Prelude to Axanar.  Other film companies are a bit more lenient.  That being said, if Universal asked me to take it down, that's fine.  YouTube was just an easy way for me to share my movie with friends and family.  I'm not looking to be the next great YouTuber...   I suspect my next video will be in like two years (at the earliest) so that's not ideal for being a YouTube content creator.