Viewer only showing a black screen

Hi,

I recently installed HitFilm Express 14. When I load a video into the Editor and play the viewer, sound is working perfectly but there's no video. I am trying to use videos recorded with an iPhone 7 (and have made sure the quality and fps settings match).

I Googled like mad and ended up installing QuickTime 7 and also reinstalling HitFilm Express with the Complete install settings. 

I'm running Win10 (64 bit). Look I honestly don't know what any of the next stuff means, but you tech people probably do so: Intel Core i5-4200 processor. NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M. 8gb RAM. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

Comments

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,033 Staff

@jessharris could you use the program MediaInfo to provide a breakdown for the footage if possible?

There is a chance that it is using something that is not supported inside HitFilm. If that is the case, then transcoding (converting) to another format using something such as Handbrake is recommended.

•  Thanks @TheBenNorris - I've just downloaded and dropped one of the videos into MediaInfo which has spat out the following (most of this makes no sense to me, so if you think it's best to run it through Handbrake to convert, I'm fine with that if it means I can edit):

MPEG-4 (QuickTime): 92.5MiB, 1 min 41 s
    1 video stream: HEVC
    1 audio stream: AAC LC

Encoded date: UTC 2020-05-21 09:37:01
    Tagged date: UTC 2020-05-21 09:38:43
    Writing library: Apple QuickTime
    com.apple.quicktime.make: Apple
    com.apple.quicktime.model: iPhone 7 Plus

First Video Stream
    7 508 kb/s, 1920*1080 (16:9), at 29.970 (29970/1000) FPS, HEVC ([email protected]@Main)

First Audio Stream
    93.8 kb/s, 44.1 kHz, 1 channel, AAC LC

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,073 Ambassador

OK, so your footage is h.265/HEVC in an "mp4" file.

1 video stream: HEVC

HEVC is not supported by Hitfilm, and it's a bit confusing that "mp4" files can contain video that isn't mp4.

You'll have to transcode your footage into a format Hitfilm can ingest first.

YOu can skip to 23:43 if you just want to get into transcoding, or watch the rest if you want to learn how digital video works. Probably the easiest solution is to follow the instructions for Handbrake and the "Norman AVC" setting shown in the video.

Since you shot on an iPhone, you should be able to set the phone to shoot h.264/mp4/AVC in the future.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/14/iphone-ipad-how-to-change-camera-format-for-videos-and-photos/

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

@Triem23 "HEVC is not supported by Hitfilm, and it's a bit confusing that "mp4" files can contain video that isn't mp4."

If you are confused then educate yourself. 

• @Triem23 thanks so much for the help! Major breath of relief knowing it's a simple fix. Thanks again!!!! 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,073 Ambassador
    edited June 2020

@NormanPCN speaking for the benefit of yet another user confused by an "mp4" file that doesn't contain mp4 video. We're actually in agreement of this topic - it IS "confusing" that a file marked "mp4" doesn't contain mp4 media AND it's time for FXHOME to add HEVC support to avoid this in the future.

What's the first 20 minutes of the linked video? Pure education. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

@Triem23 "We're actually in agreement of this topic - it IS "confusing" that a file marked "mp4" doesn't contain mp4 media..."

You have constantly said HEVC is not mp4 media/video. It is a registered video codec for MP4 containers. It exists in various ISO specs. Some in connection with AVC.

It does not exist in any of the numerous ISO specs called "MPEG 4". AVC is MPEG-4 part 10. ASP (aka Divx or xvid) is MPEG 4 part 2. The file container (aka MP4 file) is part 12. HEVC is actually MPEG-H. They did not create yet another "part" to the group of "MPEG-4" specs for HEVC.

The file container may be in the MPEG-4 group of specs, but it is not limited to video codecs listed in the group of MPEG-4 specs. It is valid for any codec that is officially registered with ISO. For example, Cineform is not registered for MP4 files. Curious since Cineform is registered for MOV (aka Quicktime) containers and MP4 and MOV containers while not literally identical are functionally identical.

So what actually *is* MP4 media in your view?

"...AND it's time for FXHOME to add HEVC support to avoid this in the future"

More to the point. FxHome should never import a media file containing a video and/or audio codec that is not supported without giving some kind of notification to the user of an error(?) situation. This is just lazy on their part. The import can still be allowed since one may want to access the audio only, for example.

• whoawatts
    whoawatts Posts: 1

its weird in my case, couple days before, with the same video, it worked completely fine, but now suddenly i'm having the same problem as this guy.

• DeanMills
    DeanMills Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Black screen still here

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,438 Ambassador

@DeanMills This is an old thread and will now be closed. Please open a new thread stating the nature of your issue and also list your system specs along with the version of HF you are using.

This discussion has been closed.