Compositing over a previous green screen?

Hello all,
Firstly I just want to say that it's good to be back - I used to post on FXHome's forums YEARS ago and it feels good to be part of the community again.
I'm doing work for a client and they have had some previous work done by another company that they weren't too pleased with. What they want me to do is take a clip that has had some green screening done in the background and they want me to change a section of it. What would be the best way to do this do you think? I'm not sure if this link will work here but my boss sent this to me earlier today and I'm trying to figure how best to approach it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0sshedga8172p6/HyundaiGreatestAutoSale30May2014%20v3-Performance%20square%20mpeg4.mp4?n=20201390
In case the link doesn't work: It's a clip of a guy standing in front of two "screens" and the one on the left has some images that the client wants changed. There isn't a clear shot of it though, the guy in the video is standing almost directly in front of what needs changing. The only way I can think of doing it would be to drop the new images on top of the guy and then mask around him frame by frame, which sounds tedious and not really worth the time or money that I'm being paid.
Is there some magic miracle method that I dont know about for taking the guy out of the frame, fixing what needs to be fixed and then dropping him back in? Keeping in mind that I dont have any of the original files and that I am only working off the finished project. I don't think the first company would be keen on sending their work over.
If you guys were tasked with fixing this, how would you go about it?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,595 Ambassador
    Unfortunately, there's no "magic miracle" for this--you're right: with the footage as-is, you'll have to manually roto every frame.
    Honestly, it would probably be easier to reshoot in front of a greenscreen and recreate the virtual set from scratch.
    Good luck--that's a terrible assignment.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    Is re-filming that one section entirely out of the question?
  • CalebK
    CalebK Posts: 435
    If i were you i would attempt to re use all the media to recreate the background EXACTLY then i would render it then use the difference matte to get a nice mask around the guy.  Be warned one mistake and it won't work.... however if you remember what you did this might work.
    In the future light your green screen and put the actor as far away from it as possible as to reduce spill.  Also if you want to make it really good add a global grade and reduce spill bait.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82dV3TbT87o
    this tutorial does a great job on cleaning up your actor to make him fit in. 
    Obviously if you can reshooting the green screen video would be much easier.
  • Triem23
    If i were you i would attempt to re use all the media to recreate the background EXACTLY then i would render it then use the difference matte to get a nice mask around the guy.  Be warned one mistake and it won't work.... however if you remember what you did this might work.
    In the future light your green screen and put the actor as far away from it as possible as to reduce spill.  Also if you want to make it really good add a global grade and reduce spill bait.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82dV3TbT87o
    this tutorial does a great job on cleaning up your actor to make him fit in. 
    Obviously if you can reshooting the green screen video would be much easier.

Remember Caleb, Eternal Olympus got handed someone else's completed work and and asked to re-edit. He doesn't have access to the source footage or graphics (because that's a different company). If EO doesn't have access to the same media used to re-create the background plate I don't think he'll be able to get a good enough match for a difference key to work!
    I have to admit--difference key to clean it up is an interesting idea. I still think this is either a re-shoot or a roto job, but, if EO CAN recreate the BG plate the difference key might just work...

• CalebK
    CalebK Posts: 435
    Oh i missed that detail.... oh well it was an ok idea
  • rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Ouch. Yea if you can't get the original footage or reshoot, will probably have to roto.  Once he's in position, he's not moving too much. Also, it seems whoever did it originally choked it quite a bit, so he's not so jagged, which should make it a bit easier too.    I hope you're billing by the hour :)
  • Triem23
    Given the intitial post "...The only way I can think of doing it would be to drop the new images on top of the guy and then mask around him frame by frame, which sounds tedious and not really worth the time or money that I'm being paid..." I'm guessing it's a flat-fee.
  • Sorry it took so long to reply guys - it's been crazy busy!
    So, in terms of trying to fix this issue, I've explained the situation to my boss, and right away he said that it was a huge inconvenience not only to me but to the company as well seeing as how I'm the main editor. It's been all but pretty much cancelled until this other company either agrees to send us their working files (not going to happen) or the client decides they want to pay for a re-shoot (also not very likely).
    @Triem23 - Yeah, I get paid on a per project basis, and this just would have taken far too much time when I have so many other things on the go.
    Thanks though for all your suggestions guys, I appreciate it. I miss being around here and watching people help each other out with their projects. I'll have to start frequenting the forums more.
    Until next time!