Having Fun With Mixamo

WedgeOz
WedgeOz Posts: 224 Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Y-KjziWLQ

I know I'm a later bloomer, but I've been reading your posts and seeing your videos about Blender, Mixamo and animations, and I've fallen in love with them (special thanks to @FilmSensei). Shall now be definitely incorporating them into my next project. Here is a test shot......

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

Oh, s*** someone introduced Paul to a new technique!

He'll have completed three feature films entirely animated in Mixamo by the time I finish building that TARDIS model I'm working on.

• WedgeOz
    edited June 2020

Haha...I seriously doubt that. But dang it...........looking forward to having a CGI robot character for once :)

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert
  • JBaymore
    JBaymore Posts: 336 Enthusiast

@WedgeOz........

Nice.  If I might ask, where did you get that particular droid?

best,

.........john

• WedgeOz

Hey @JBaymore

I got that particular robot at CGTrader - https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/character/sci-fi/robot-106bc680-0260-4558-9459-98b231d79d2e

Being the cheapskate I am, I chose a free model. But also.....(as I understood Maximo's requirements), I needed a model with a "humanoid skeleton" in order for the animated rigging to happen. And of course I wanted a model that had textures already. After many trials and errors, this was the first model that I was able to upload to Maximo that automatically uploaded the textures as well. I also didn't need to run it through Blender to make it work in Hitfilm. 

For whatever reason, I couldn't make any other model work (it was either black, or it was unable to have textures, or the animations didn't work, whether I used .fbx or .obj)......even if I "cleansed" it by running it through Blender. Not sure why yet, but as I am quite the novice, I'm sure I'll learn the technicalities eventually.

But anyway yes............having great fun with all this :)

• cluelessnube
    cluelessnube Posts: 520 Enthusiast

Hey, that's great, nicely done.   The droid really looks like it belongs in that scene.

You wrote, "For whatever reason, I couldn't make any other model work (it was either black, or it was unable to have textures, or the animations didn't work, whether I used .fbx or .obj)......even if I "cleansed" it by running it through Blender. "

As I've whined elsewhere, the unreliable nature of the 3D realm has been a big turn off for me.   What if we started a thread where members list any 3D models which have worked for them in Hitfilm without any fixing needed?   

You know, instead of jumping through a bunch of convoluted nerd hoops to fix the junk that's broken, and having that not even  work half the time, how about a directory of 3D models that don't need fixing? 

I can't be the first person to have this idea, does something like this exist already?

• FilmSensei
    edited June 2020

Phil Asks: "You know, instead of jumping through a bunch of convoluted nerd hoops to fix the junk that's broken, and having that not even  work half the time, how about a directory of 3D models that don't need fixing?"

...and shockingly, here it is:

https://www.mixamo.com

Strangely enough, they all work well in Mixamo also! 

Seriously, if you pick any one of the 121 models in the Mixamo character list and combine it with the any one of the 2496 animations (that is 302,016 different combinations), it will work in HitFilm.

• cluelessnube

@FilmSensei- good sarcasm!   :-)  I will retort with my usual philosophy barrage!  

Seriously, here's how this works.  When a person reaches a certain level of expertise in any activity one of the price tags for that is that they lose touch with what it  was like when they were starting out.   It's not the fault of any particular expert, it's just a natural process which happens with pretty much anyone on any subject.

As example, while you are clearly an expert at video nerdology, you seem to have a lost a grasp of how truly satanically torturous just launching Blender is for we of video newbie nation.   

So yes, all those files will work in Hitfilm, if one is comfortable in Blender.  My suggestion was to develop a list of 3D models that aren't broken, and thus don't have to be fixed in Blender, so as to serve a wider selection of Hitfilm users.   Or not, it's just an idea.

• FilmSensei

@PhilTanny

I am glad you recognized the sarcasm... it is a difficult thing to communicate over a forum. :)

You say, "When a person reaches a certain level of expertise in any activity one of the price tags for that is that they lose touch with what it was like when they were starting out. It's not the fault of any particular expert, it's just a natural process which happens with pretty much anyone on any subject."

To this I say that I totally agree with you... except that I am not falling under that category. This is for two reasons.

First, I am a martial arts instructor with almost forty years of experience. I was a full-time professional martial arts instructor for almost 30 years, and the vast majority of the rest of the time, I have been a part-time martial arts instructor. There is no question that what you are saying happens, actually happens in the martial arts all the time. Instructors become so advanced that they cannot even relate to what it is like to be a White Belt. I promised myself years ago that I would never allow that to happen to me, and I have not. I still take great joy in getting down on my knees with a brand new six-year old to personally experience his/her first successful self-defense technique... done on me! I love that! I will never let go of the beginner mentality... it is truly something amazing to be a part of.

Second, you are giving me far too much credit for being an "expert" in Blender. I can assure you that I am not! I am the learning path, yes, but I am not nearly as far down that path as you think. All I really know how to do is click the mouse, and that's all a person needs to know to do this.

I am guessing that you have not looked at Blender 2.8, but I would suggest you should. It is totally different than anything that came before. That is the reason that major gaming companies are now switching to use it.

But even if you don't know how to use Blender, you do know how to use a mouse, right? You are not actually using Blender to affect these models in any way. What you are doing is clicking a mouse.

Regarding the Blender part of what I do... All I am doing is clicking File -> Import -> FBX, then clicking File -> Export -> FBX. It's not that hard!

You say, "My suggestion was to develop a list of 3D models that aren't broken, and thus don't have to be fixed in Blender, so as to serve a wider selection of Hitfilm users."

You could do that, but with over 300,000 model/animation combinations (and an infinite number of variations of those combinations), that would be totally impractical. Better would be to learn this extremely simple "wash through Blender" technique and do it yourself. It literally only takes a few seconds. For example, in my 2:55 minute video where I demonstrated how to bring in a Mixamo Model into HitFilm, I literally spend only 38 seconds in Blender... and that because I talked for most of that time rather than just doing it.

You said, "So yes, all those files will work in Hitfilm, if one is comfortable in Blender."

I am glad you realize that those files will work in HitFilm. However, I would like to reiterate, that one does not have to be comfortable in Blender to click the mouse a handful of times.

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 571 Enthusiast
  • tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

Would that be Senseinse? :)

• WedgeOz

Oh...a bit of a discussion......lol

When I spoke of not being able to get a model to work, I meant that was all on me. It generally takes me on average 3 years to get motivated to try new versions of Hitfilm software...probably even longer to try other software :). I think I procrastinate too much when it comes to learning anything new. That video I did of the robot came 24 hours after I saw a Mixamo tutorial on here. I pretty much know for sure, I have a LONG way to go before I become proficient enough to learn all the ins and outs and nuances of this type of animation, (which includes how to make third-party models work properly in Maximo). So I don't blame any of the software, I blame my lazy brain for not being patient enough to learn quicker.....lol. This visual effects stuff is the best "big boy's toy" ever. Haven't had this much fun in like forever :)

• cluelessnube

@FilmSensei - you make some good points.   I really don't want to debate you too enthusiastically as I do appreciate the good intentions you had in making that video, which I'm sure will be found useful by many readers, probably including me at some point.

You seem perhaps a bit annoyed that I didn't immediately embrace your video, but a gentle reminder, I didn't actually request a tutorial video, but only a link to a single 3D model that was known to work in Hitfilm.   (Not Blender, Hitfilm) And you were unable to produce such a file, not because of any fault of yours, but because the 3D industry is still in an immature state.   But anyway, it's all good, there's no problem here.

Speaking more broadly, there are nerds and there are artists, and their perspectives are not immediately the same.  The nerd loves technical complexity because it is through complexity that they become an expert.  The artist is more likely to see technical complexity as an obstacle to the manifestation of their creation.  

I get the nerd perspective because I am one, just not on this subject.  I spent years coding my own blogging and forum software from scratch when I could have simply downloaded Wordpress and phpBB for free in minutes.  The nerd dance, been there done that, and have perhaps fried that part of my brain in the process.

Anyway, what I did learn from your video on shadow catching is that a good place for me to be right now is to focus on 2D animations in Hitfilm's 3D spaces.   That's working for me, and I owe you in part for helping me find my way there.  Just saying, your generous work on my behalf was not totally wasted.