Lets say i had 4k to spend

CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
I am trying to come up with a list of dream softwares i will probably never buy.  Anyway i am looking for anything that might help me make videos faster, or with better effects.  Im talking from softwares from Izotope (audio editing) to plural eyes, or light works.  So if you had to suggest to me 4,000$ (2386 pounds) worth of software what would you suggest.  I would really like to see some more advanced particle simulators, and fire, and water simulators.  And the person suggests the best list will win 4 thousand dollars*.
*offer does not extend to living creatures, mammals, video producers, people that own computers, or current earth residents.  Deadline is May 30th 2014

Comments

• Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    edited June 2014
    Autodesk Maya -  Almost all companies that deal with animation or vfx use maya as their primary tool. and its $4000
    Maya includes a smoke,fluid cloth,hair,soft body,rigid body, and several other dynamic simulators, in edition to all the simulator's its the primary tool for animation. Frozen and almost all other disney movies were animated using maya, but its not just disney almost every 3d animated film uses maya. Some other tools used inside the industry are Zbrush, Realflow, Nuke, Fusion, Vray, Arnold, 3DS Max, Mudbox, Houdini, Boujou, PfTrack, FumeFx...Etc, there are too many too list but those above should cover most of the primary stuff. Some companies also use in-house software not available to the general public.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador
    Maya is a good call.
    Hypothetically speaking, let's assume Caleb has nothing besides Hitfilm: In this case, rather than Maya, I might suggest 3D Studio Max (about $2300) and FCP X ($299-799, depending on which add-on modules you need/want). 3D Studio Max is one of those packages used almost as much as Maya, with most of the same feature, but a lot cheaper. FCP X--well, I'm not a fan, but, on Mac your choices really are FCP X, Premiere, or AVID and AVID is $2500.
    With 3D Studio Max and FCP X that gives you another $1000 or so to play with. You could go for Pro Tools for Audio, or that would add an entire year of all things Adobe--Photoshop, Premeire, AE, plus all the non-video stuff. That could always be useful. Although, theoretically, you'll be renewing your subscription forever with Adobe CC--you might still be able to find AE CS6 and Premiere CS6 for under a grand. Disadvantage: Last revision software. Advantage: OWNING the software and not having Adobe shit it off when you're done paying subscription fees.
    Or, (Still assuming 3D S-Max and FCP X) you could add in Mocha Pro for it's full functionality, or go for Pf Track to add a point camera tracker to your tools, since you already have Mocha Hitfilm--Although AE CS6 and higher do have built in 3D point tracking....
    You have a lot of options.
    edited June 2014
    Maya is a good call.
    Hypothetically speaking, let's assume Caleb has nothing besides Hitfilm: In this case, rather than Maya, I might suggest 3D Studio Max (about $2300) and FCP X ($299-799, depending on which add-on modules you need/want). 3D Studio Max is one of those packages used almost as much as Maya, with most of the same feature, but a lot cheaper. FCP X--well, I'm not a fan, but, on Mac your choices really are FCP X, Premiere, or AVID and AVID is $2500.
    With 3D Studio Max and FCP X that gives you another $1000 or so to play with. You could go for Pro Tools for Audio, or that would add an entire year of all things Adobe--Photoshop, Premeire, AE, plus all the non-video stuff. That could always be useful. Although, theoretically, you'll be renewing your subscription forever with Adobe CC--you might still be able to find AE CS6 and Premiere CS6 for under a grand. Disadvantage: Last revision software. Advantage: OWNING the software and not having Adobe shit it off when you're done paying subscription fees.
    Or, (Still assuming 3D S-Max and FCP X) you could add in Mocha Pro for it's full functionality, or go for Pf Track to add a point camera tracker to your tools, since you already have Mocha Hitfilm--Although AE CS6 and higher do have built in 3D point tracking....
    You have a lot of options.

Crorrect me if im wrong but Maya and 3ds max cost the same and 3ds max leaves out smoke and fluid simulation. Again, correct me if im wrong but 3ds max(since 2014) doesn't run on mac, maya does though. And when did maya start supporting linux?
    http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Operating-system-compatibility-for-Autodesk-Maya.html
    http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Operating-system-compatibility-for-Autodesk-3ds-Max-and-Autodesk-3ds-Max-Design.html

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador
    Wow! Last time I looked at 3DS Max was a couple years ago (I think it was the 2012 version) it was "only" $2500. I just looked on the autodesk site and 3DS Max is now at $3600! I stand corrected! And flabbergasted! And I am quite surprised that 3DS Max dropped Mac support! You can tell I'm surprised, because I don't normally use that many exclaimation marks!
    Yeah, im not sure why they raised the price and dropped mac support.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited June 2014
    There has never been a Mac version of 3DS Max, to my knowledge.  Lightwave or Cinema4D are good equivalents with Mac versions though.  NewTek Lightwave has fairly comprehensive particle simulators included.