What is your favourite summer blockbuster so far?

writersandfilmmakerswritersandfilmmakers Website User Posts: 3
For me it's X-Men: Days of Future Past. I thought it was an incredibly well-made film with a strong balance of drama, character development, action, and emotional core. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were the standouts, imo. But the rest of the cast are great as well. Second favourite is probably Godzilla despite its bland characters, but I enjoyed it nonetheless and was quite happy with all the glorious monster destruction and  Godzilla himself.
What are yours? :) 

Writers judge filmmakers, filmmakers judge writers. Winning script is bought and shot by the winning filmmaker. We fund it.

Comments

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff
    edited June 2014
    Oh I can't decide. I watched Spiderman, Godzilla and X-men all recently and liked them all. 
    (From a personal perspective though I think that Spiderman pulled at me more - it had a more human element than the other two). 
    Of course, this doesn't have to be blockbusters ;)
    On a tangent, I watched The Other Woman recently and that was just brilliant. Really thought it was going to be fairly terrible but I was laughing my head off all the way through - crying with laughter at points. Usually I judge movies on their scripts first but this entire film was heavily improvised so it really depended on the actors. Luckily, they were great, so that was also a winner :)
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Ooooooo that's a tough one!
    I absolutely loved X-men mainly for closing off some of the problems from previous movies, the VFX (all sentinel battles + quicksilver) and generally the story as I've always been intrigued by the sentinel run universe of the X-men.  Another part that was nice was being able too see a lot more vulnerability in some of the characters.
    Spiderman 2 was also fantastic - great storyline, especially for a "middle" of the trilogy.  While I enjoyed a lot of the visuals, at times I felt there was too much CG and things just didn't feel right.  Loved Gwen and Peter's chemistry
    Captain America 2 - out of the three listed, this one stands out the most to me for a number of reasons even though it may not be considered a "summer" release.  I have never been a huge fan of Captain America, nor did I really enjoy the first movie.  However, this one, everything from the storyline, background details, parallel details with Marvel's Agents of Shield, VFX and acting was great.  Oh and the after credits.... YUUUUUSSSS!!!!!!!
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Yah captain america was awesome, it had to have the best twist since harry potter and the half blood prince.  It was really cool how they matched it up with the show "marvels agents of shield".  If you dont watch that show do it! Grunt through the first 4 horrible episodes and then enjoy the ride!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Yeah, while much of Agents of SHIELD's run has been mediocre-to-poor, it was just about worth sticking it out for the fantastic last 5-or-so episodes. I've never seen a TV show tie in so directly to a movie release, and it was a lot of fun seeing how that played out dramatically.
    I don't get to see as many films as I'd like, but I thoroughly enjoyed both Cap 2 and Godzilla. The former had a superb plot twist and a satisfying political thriller element (not to mention real world parallels that made is RELEVANT - something comic book movies always struggle with), while the latter had probably the best visuals I've seen for many years. In fact, script aside, Godzilla had some of the best filmmaking in all areas I've seen for years.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,244 Ambassador
    Of the blockbusters this year, I go with Cap:Winter Soldier. Cap remembered to make me like the new characters, and had that plot twist which truly changes the MCU. For going with a non-status quo, not-safe ending. That's rare.
    #2 Godzilla. But I am an old-school Godzilla fan, and that movie was plotted, paced, and largely shot like a Japanese Godzilla film.
    Looking forward to DoFP, but, also, How to Train your Dragon 2.My fiancé's cousin is an LD (lighting director) for DreamWorks and has been there since day 1.He says this is their best movie ever in terms of emotional impact... Gives me hope.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff
    The Lego Movie.  Which was quite good, but is also the only time I've made it to the cinema this year.  And yeah, technically it wasn't a summer release, since it came out in February, but then, summer doesn't start for almost three weeks, so we don't technically have any summer releases yet.
  • writersandfilmmakerswritersandfilmmakers Website User Posts: 3
    Yah captain america was awesome, it had to have the best twist since harry potter and the half blood prince.  It was really cool how they matched it up with the show "marvels agents of shield".  If you dont watch that show do it! Grunt through the first 4 horrible episodes and then enjoy the ride!

I've been struggling to get through the show for months now haha. At times it would get good, then mediocre, then good, then mediocre again. Honestly, I am quite disappointed since I'm a Whedon fan. The characters are fairly bland, but I'm halfway through already so I might as well finish it.

Writers judge filmmakers, filmmakers judge writers. Winning script is bought and shot by the winning filmmaker. We fund it.

• OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Definitely finish it!  It ends well and ties in to Captain American 2 really well without giving things away!
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    From the Summer Blockbusters I've seen this year, here's my list from favorite to least favorite.
    Captain America 2
    Spider-Man 2
    X-Men: DoFP
    Godzilla
    Excited to see how that list looks like at the end of the summer!