why isint my vid uploading to youtube in 4k?

WRM
WRM Website User Posts: 1

I just made a clip set the project settings to 4k UHD, Then exported it with YT 2160P UHD preset, but when i upload it to youtube it stays at 1080P with avc codec and the quality is bad? i want to upload it in 4k with vp9 codec

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,305 Ambassador

@WRM YouTube always reencodes uploaded material to stream at different resolutions. If they did the full 4K version first, your video wouldn't be available very soon after the upload. To make your video viewable as quickly as possible, they start with a lower-resolution option, and work on the rest once that's done. I don't work in 4K, so I'm not sure how long it will take the 4K version to be available to stream.

If you want to change the codec used when exporting from HitFilm, you'll need to make your own preset in the Export panel.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,267 Moderator

It’s also worth noting that because of a surge in both uploads and video traffic due to the pandemic, YouTube has apparently been reducing quality even more than usual to keep up with demand.

I haven’t done any research into this, just something I’ve heard going  around.