Bring Back Vader or Not?***POLL***

StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
edited May 2014 in General
So with the typical rumors floating around before a movie is made, the one that caught my ear the most was the idea of bringing Darth Vader back for Star Wars episode VII.
I can not express how much I am against this and pray Abrams doesn't do something ridiculous like:
Boba Fett's son/clone has created a time machine and Luke goes back to abduct his father but can only do so before he was wounded at the end of "Jedi" so when Darth comes back to the future he's still evil.
Or, they re-release yet ANOTHER version of "Jedi" and the new ending has Luke and his father flying out of the Death Star and into the sunset together.
Cloning has been tossed around too and, to me, that would be the most egregious error possible. Even if they managed to find some DNA and clone Anakin, he would be whole so no need for a suit- unless he developes a mask fetish. Or a backstory inserted, which would NOT be in the style the story has been told so far, and we find out as a precaution, evil Vader was cloned some time before his last encounter with Luke. So Luke ends up in a light sabre battle, once again teetering on a dangerous precipice and yelling,"No! Nooooo! You're not my father, it's impossible!!!"
So what say you? Any thoughts? Please vote in the poll.

It would be interesting if Luke's son turns to the dark side- the tag line for the new trilogy could be "Because evil skips a generation".

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Of course, there's a difference between the Darth Vader suit and Darth Vader the Sith Lord. It's entirely possible that you could have somebody impersonating Vader using a replica of the suit. That could make for an interesting plot line - remnants of the Empire trying to get things going again by using the legacy of Vader and faking a resurrection.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Could be Darth Maul's son.....if he has one. That would be an interesting twist though. I kinda like that.
  • ivanhurbaivanhurba Website User Posts: 27
    It could be one of the spin offs... there are decades to explore between III and IV. But to bring it for VI no. No way. Unless they play the clone thing but that would be a betrayal to fans ala Khan's blood thing shameful stuff.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    I could see him in a spin off as you say, ivanhurba. I still have an article in a scrapbook from 30 years ago in which Lucas says episodes VII, VIII & IX are going to be about the rebuilding of the Jedi and the Republic. He even says in the article that he would like to use the original cast again if they age well....and he is....so they must have. :)) So look for Luke to play the role of Yoda.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    StormyKnight - no, he isn't.  Lucas sold the entire franchise, and has nothing at all to do with the new films.  Other than the fact that they use characters he created decades ago.  But he has no active involvement.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    Of course, there's a difference between the Darth Vader suit and Darth Vader the Sith Lord. It's entirely possible that you could have somebody impersonating Vader using a replica of the suit. That could make for an interesting plot line - remnants of the Empire trying to get things going again by using the legacy of Vader and faking a resurrection.

It actually makes perfect sense that the Empire would put a new person into the Vader suit in an attempt to pretend that he was never killed. They would also claim that the Emperor was never killed too. Though, I sort of feel like they wont go in this direction.

edited May 2014
    StormyKnight - no, he isn't.  Lucas sold the entire franchise, and has nothing at all to do with the new films.  Other than the fact that they use characters he created decades ago.  But he has no active involvement.

Yeah- I should have said 'they are' i.e. Kasdan & Abrams or whoever chooses these things ultimately- not 'he is' (Lucas). I know the franchise was sold to Disney, my mistake, sorry. In any case, they could have chosen to eliminate the originals or elected someone else to play the role- it probably would be cheaper but I'm glad that didn't happen.
    However, Lucas does have some active involvement according to wikipedia which notes "Star Wars creator George Lucas will act as creative consultant on Episode VII and other new Star Wars films." They site this as the source:
    http://starwars.com/news/a-discussion-about-the-future-of-star-wars/index.html
    With as obsessed he is with the whole SW universe, can anyone really expect him to just let it go without a hitch? He's invested his whole life towards perfecting the story and special effects to acheive a certain vision. That's pretty obsessed. I couldn't see him just walking away and turning the reigns over to someone else entirely.
    It would be funny though, if in some scrap book Abrams owns, there's the same old faded magazine article I have in my scrap book and that's where the idea originated. :) 
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,244 Ambassador

Press reports have indicated that Abrahm's team is working from a 120 page outline Lucas handed over for VII-IX. I think that counts. ;-) Lucas will have story credit, along with his created by credit and consulting credit.