Blurry Export?

StarDash
StarDash Posts: 10

Before I start I would like to address that i'm not really experienced in film-making or video editing so somethings I might not understand but will try to learn.

Whenever I export let's say a composite shot to replace the original video, I notice some slight blur in the video, I don't know what causes this but I've seen other forums talking about this but I just wanted to make sure, if the 'Colour Bit Depth' option set to 8-bit is affecting this, if so, am I able to purchase an add-on like the 'Color: Starter' https://fxhome.com/store/hitfilm-express which not only is the cheapest from what I've seen but mentions 16-Bit Color, will this give me the option to change my Colour Bit Depth to 16-bit?

Here are the screenshots of the before and after: https://imgur.com/a/qcQc76x

I know that it is already blurry, its because I had to zoom in to make it much more noticable

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,342 Ambassador

"I just wanted to make sure, if the 'Colour Bit Depth' option set to 8-bit is affecting this"

No. Color bit depth is all about how much data HitFilm uses to store color information. It has no bearing on the sharpness of an image.

"Whenever I export let's say a composite shot to replace the original video, I notice some slight blur in the video"

Could you please describe what you mean by "export...a composite shot to replace the original video"? What resolution is your composite shot? What resolution is the video you're using in that composite shot? What resolution is your project?

• StarDash

what i meant by 'export let's say a composite shot to replace the original video' i meant that after I've made my composite shot and done all the editing i need, i then export it so that i can properly view it because with a lot of editing, it gets really laggy and with the exported shot i replace the composite shot that was already on the timeline with the exported one, but asides from that all ive noticed is that after exporting anything tbh, i can notice a slight blur and i dont know whats causing this

everything is a 1920 x 1080 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,279 Power User

What are your MSAA settings? Whatever they are, turn them down if possible. 

The MSAA - anti aliasing - is global on all Hitfilm renders, and aniti-aliasing does soften an image a bit. 

This cannot be completely eliminated until/unless the devs add an option to disable MSAA.

The thread to make such a request is here: https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/38770/the-hitfilm-wishlist-what-features-do-you-want#latest

• StarDash

I  checked my MSAA settings and I saw mines was on 32

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,279 Power User

Turn it down to four. That's as low as it goes. That's going to look a lot better. 

• StarDash

yep, done it. ill have to see the results later

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,371 Expert

"I  checked my MSAA settings and I saw mines was on 32"

That means you changed the setting from the Hitfilm default. MSAA settings of 16 and 32 result in soft visual results. Anywhere, anything. Ask for a soft result (select 16 or 32) and get a soft result.