Any tips on how to digitally remaster old footage

adamsfilms12
adamsfilms12 Website User Posts: 71 Just Starting Out

Hi everyone, I have some old footage that is in color but is very old and grainy/blurry I'm trying to clean it up quite a bit. Any thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 386 Enthusiast

I've heard good things about neat video https://www.neatvideo.com/

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

@Dimipapa I have Neat Video, and I will say it is a fantastic noise reduction tool.

That said, the plug-in version of Neat Video would require Hitfilm Pro to run. Hitfilm Pro ALSO has a video denoiser which is almost as good as Neat Video. Hitfilm's noise reduction isn't as in-depth in fine tuning the filter, but is a lot easier to use.

Denoising will also, almost unavoidably, tend to soften the image a bit, which can be problematic if the footage is already blurry. @adamsfilms12 remind me if you're on Pro or Express. It changes the options you have available without spending money on Express add-ons.

In general, first you'll need to deal with the grain. Then you'll need to do some edge sharpening to try and recover/keep detail, THEN you'll want to do any color/contrast adjustments.

• adamsfilms12

DimipapaTriem23 I'm using pro I may try Denoising but like you mentioned I'm afraid of soften too much. I'm pretty new to the whole "remastering/restoring" thing but I think you're right I should focus on removing the grain first, then edge sharpening, which if you don't mind could recommend some tutorials on edge sharpening ? That's what I'm kinda hung up on at the moment thanks.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,995 Moderator
    edited May 2020

@adamsfilms12 Here is one @FilmSensei did on an effect called High Pass Sharpen that I seem to recall has some wiggle room to it:

Hope it helps you out.  BTW, I have Neat Video for Pinnacle Studio and it was great for cleaning up 90s era VHS. But that was before I started with Hitfilm.

• adamsfilms12

@tddavis thank you for sharing I'll give it a watch and thanks to FilmSensei for making the video