Ways to colorize a white plane (LED)

I'm currently struggling to convincingly colorize a white plane to look like an LED.
I'm generally having trouble to colorize white planes in hitfilm. I just don't know which effect to use and most of them don't give me the desired result.
So, do you have any advices on how to colorize a white plane, you want to share?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    Have you considered just opening the Properties of the plane, and changing its color to whatever color you actually want?
  • maumau
    maumau Posts: 23
    Yes. That was the first thing I did and up until now that gives me the best result.
    But, if I have a comp and want to use it 3 times with different colors I'll end up with lots of almost identical comps.
    And if I decide to change one tiny thing in one of the comps ALL the others have to be changed too.
    Sooner or later that solution won't work.
    So, I want to try to stay independent, keep the layers inside the comp white and later apply a colorize effect on the comp to get the color I want.
    But I just don't get the effects to work properly.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    If you need multiple planes of different colors, you could always create multiple planes.  Otherwise, there are a hundred ways to colorize the layer.  Fill Color, of course; Hue Colorize; Hue Shift; adjust the color channels independently in Levels Histogram; Color Correction Wheels; Hue, Saturation & Lightness; Color Balance.  There are more complex options as well, like using an Environment Map, Color Map, Glow or Neon Glow, etc.