Questions about editing a mask

maumau
maumau Posts: 23
I just can't seem to find the answer on how to move a mask itself. Not the path, but the whole mask
(without having to select every single vertex manually). Also, I would like to move the mask only along one axis.
So, how do I do that?
Edit:
I changed the title of the thread, because I found, that I had some other important questions about masking:
1. As stated above: How to move a whole mask
A: Select the mask, use the select tool (V) and you can drag the mask around.
     Tried that before, didn't work, but now it does. No idea why.
2. As stated above: How to move a whole mask along an axis
3. Is there a way to scale a mask along an axis?
A: Triem23: "With the arrow tool selected and the mask selected in the layer stack, corner nodes scale both  axes. The center-of-line nodes scale a single axis."
4.  Is there a way to move vertices along an axis?
5. Is there a way to box-select vertices?

Comments

• rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2014
    Use the Select Tool (the arrow. Press V).
    You'll probably want to select the mask in your layer first.
    If you grab a node, it will scale it.
    Note sure how to limit movement to an axis.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador
    With the arrow tool selected and the mask selected in the layer stack, corner nodes scale both axes. The center-of-line nodes scale a single axis.
  • maumau
    maumau Posts: 23
    With the arrow tool selected and the mask selected in the layer stack, corner nodes scale both axes. The center-of-line nodes scale a single axis.

Great! Thank you!

• I have also been wondering if you can keyframe the addition and removal of points on a mask. I have been unsure if this is possible in hitfilm.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff
    Although you can obviously keyframe the position of a mask on your layer, it is not possible to keyframe the addition/removal or alteration of mask points. 
    What you can do as a workaround is to add another mask at the point at which you would like the shape to change. 
  • Triem23
    Another issue with Hitfilm masking is that the "Path" property only has "linear" keyframes, which can make things harder to animate. I'd love interpolation curves....
    Yeah, you have two ways of dealing with this. First, and Tooshka said, figure out maximum points needed and stack two very close together when needed--however, the linear keyframing of the path sometimes makes this a pain. The other way is what Kristie said: just create two masks--move one offscreen until it's needed then swap positions of the masks as needed.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
     I'd love interpolation curves....

Right click on a masking point- is what you're talking about in the dropdown box list?

• Triem23
    edited June 2014
    Right click on a masking point- is what you're talking about in the dropdown box list?
    Nah, I meant that if I right-click on a "Path" keyframe on the timeline I don't get the choices of linear, smooth, smoith in, smooth out and constant.
    *EDIT* Yeah, now that I'm IN Hitfilm, I can verify what I'm saying--so, when I right-click on a "PATH" keyframe for a layer mask, I really really don't get the full set of interpolation curves one would get when keyframing any other attribute or effect. Now, often, there's no need for anything else in roto, but there are times when the curves could be useful--especially "constant."