Why Don't You Let Me Choose My Country?

spriggan1spriggan1 Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

After weeks of research, I've decided that this is the best free video editor and might as well purchase the paid packages in the future if I get used to the software, then I am astounded to find out that my country (Turkey) is not listed in the account creation screen... Seriously, are you kidding me? Why would you left out my country?

Please try to empathize for a second: What would you feel if you find out that you could select all the countries in the world except yours in the account creation screen?

You may dislike my country for your personal reasons but did you know that Turkey helped many European countries, including the UK with Covid-19 supplies? If you had intentionally excluded Turkey from the country selection list, I want you to know that it's a huge disappointment for a customer who wanted to use your product after eliminating all other alternatives after a meticulous research. May I know the reason at least? You owe me that much...

Comments

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 297 Staff

We cannot do business with Turkey directly due to the terms of licencing of the components of the software. As I explained on /r/HitFilm, we have a local distributor who handles all transactions in that country: ETI Bilgisayar: http://www.eti.com.tr/

• spriggan1spriggan1 Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out
    edited May 18

But what about the free product and free trials? Beside paid products, you also provide a free version of HitFilm Express and free trials of your other products. Turkish people who would like to try these free product and trials can not find their country in the account creation form, which is very disappointing. If this is about the terms of licensing, you should still let us choose our country in our accounts, just not allow us to purchase through this website and redirect us to the local distributor.

If this has something to do with PayPal having been banned in Turkey 5 years ago, I understand that it could have been made it difficult for you to do business with Turkey, but there are alternatives like Payoneer.

edited May 18

I have also indicated this issue in the HitFilm Reddit Page.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

@spriggan1

I don’t think this has anything to do with PayPal... Javert mentions the licensing restrictions of “components of the software”.

This most likely means that HitFilm uses some code/APIs/libraries in the software itself that are not able to be used in your country for one reason or another... regardless of if you’re using Pro or Express.

Trust me... if it were possible for them to have Turkey as an option, they would do it. It appears that there’s actually quite a few companies that have to use this work-around to sell their products in Turkey. 

There’s no hate, just an unfortunate legal circumstance where FXHome has tried to make the best of it.

edited May 18

Glad to know this is not about hate, but still frustrated after learning that this is due to some odd regulation, or odd terms of licensing between Fxhome and the local distributor. I understood that your licencing agreement prevents you from selling the Pro version directly in Turkey, but does it prevent you from providing the Express version as well?

Is it not possible for you to let us choose our country in our accounts, and only prevent us from purchasing the Pro version through this website and instead redirect us to the local distributor?

edited May 18

I have just found out that the local distributor is offering the HitFilm Pro trial version by redirecting to your website! Here: http://www.eti.com.tr/urun.aspx?Marka=FXHOME&ContentId=1441&CategoryId=36&MnId=1312

It seems like the most recent version they offer is HitFilm Pro 2017 and when you click "ÜCRETSİZ DENEME" (free trial), it redirects to FxHome's HitFilm Pro trial page. However even after being redirected from there, we still can not select Turkey!

I started to think that this may be due to a negligence and fixed easily by adding Turkey to the list. This would allow us to enjoy the trial versions and the Express version without feeling alienated, and being forced to lie by selecting another country. Mr.  Valbarr, can you please pass this issue to the management?

• TurkishTurkTurkishTurk Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I agree with Spriggan1. Leaving such a big country (leave no countries behind anyway) out of the list is totally absurd. I do not accept any explanations such as regulations, etc. There are over 200 countries in the world and Turkey is the ONLY country with weird licensing restrictions? There should be a "working" solution or at least a work-around. Otherwise, I will not download your free software, free trial or any other pro software by no means. I will also let my friends (and other people in Turkey who are usually patriotic about their country) know about this negligence.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

@TurkishTurk

First, Forum Moderators and Ambassadors are not FXHOME staff. We're volunteers. My opinions are my own.

I must ask if you read the comment by @JavertValbarr, above, where he wrote:

We cannot do business with Turkey directly due to the terms of licensing of the components of the software. As I explained on /r/HitFilm, we have a local distributor who handles all transactions in that country: ETI Bilgisayar: http://www.eti.com.tr/

You wrote:

I do not accept any explanations such as regulations, etc. There are over 200 countries in the world and Turkey is the ONLY country with weird licensing restrictions?

What you do or do not accept isn't the issue here. You are not the business, and you are not the entity that can get in trouble for violating international law or licensing restrictions with third-party vendors. Moreover, have you sat and counted the countries on the registration list? I just did. Twice. FXHOME lists 226 countries available for download, although that list is questionable, as, say, Puerto Rico is listed as a "country" when Puerto Rico is a US territory. Anyways, there are about 253 nation-states in the world. 226 is less than 253 and more than 1, so, no, Turkey is not the "ONLY" country in the world with weird licensing restrictions.

You wrote:

There should be a "working" solution or at least a work-around.

Well, they have a local distributor who handles all transactions in that country: ETI Bilgisayar: http://www.eti.com.tr/

You wrote:

I will also let my friends (and other people in Turkey who are usually patriotic about their country) know about this negligence.

Making threats in this context does no one any good. Once again, there are third party licensed components in the Hitfilm software. FXHOME does not control those licensing agreements, and there isn't anything they can directly do, or they would have done it. Your characterization of "negligence" is unfounded - such would imply FXHOME overlooked the existence of Turkey, or had chosen to deliberately exclude Turkey, neither of which is the case. I'm sorry you find the situation unsatisfactory, but it's not FXHOME's "fault," and there is nothing they can do about it at this time.

DaVinci Resolve is another excellent free/paid video editor with different software licensing. I believe it is available for direct download in Turkey without having to go through a local distributor.