Exporting AVCHD faster?

My camera has the option to shoot mp4 or AVCHD.  Obiously AVCHD is much better for quality.  However it usually takes me a day to get the footage off the camera and it is really frustrating.
Here is what i do
1. Open up the file then i get a window that shows all the video files
2. I select the files one by one, or all at once then they open in quicktime
3. I export them to 1080p
4. I tell them to export into a main folder
5. Then they get on a long que line, after adding about 5 the computer slows basically to a halt i cant use finder because its too slow.  Also i cant send new clips to it easily because that operation is too bogged down.
Some additional issues are
A. Encoding frequently quits
B. I dont think that i can export over 1080p
C. File system and computer gets bogged down usually i cant do them all at once
D. Just a general pain in the but
Obviously i need a new solution
Im figuring somewhere out their there is a software that you send it the AVCHD file and it automatically exports all the video files into a folder in a nice format for editing.  I am willing to shell out money to buy this magical software, as currently i am investing in speeding up my work flow.  Does anyone know something that might help??

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,259 Staff
    Its not obvious that AVCHD is better quality.  Both AVCHD and MP4 use the H.264 codec.  The video is encoded the same way, AVCHD just makes it harder to get to.
    Granted, in some cases and with certain cameras, the AVCHD option might be better, but you shouldn't just assume that it is.
  • CalebK
    CalebK Posts: 435
    Its not obvious that AVCHD is better quality.  Both AVCHD and MP4 use the H.264 codec.  The video is encoded the same way, AVCHD just makes it harder to get to.
    Granted, in some cases and with certain cameras, the AVCHD option might be better, but you shouldn't just assume that it is.

in the case that AVCHD is better what would be a good solution for me?