Hitfilm UI vs Filmora UI

highspeedkiwishighspeedkiwis Website User Posts: 12

I just looked at the Filmora UI and it's almost identical to Hitfilm's. Take a look:

Fimora Pro UI

TThis is Filmora's UI. Now look at Hitfilm's:

I haven't been able to find out anything by googling, but maybe there's a simple explanation. But they are so similar that I ask: Who ripped off who?

Comments

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 297 Staff

We’re working closely with Wondershare on their software, Filmora Pro, and we share knowledge and expertise between our two development teams.

• highspeedkiwishighspeedkiwis Website User Posts: 12

@JavertValbarr ah, thanks for the clarification. I've never used Wondershare - but is the functionality different from HitFilm? Does it lack HitFilm's features or use different ones?

• gustavoruizboninogustavoruizbonino Website User Posts: 1

Working closely as in the same room? :)

I'm confused about it, was about to buy Filmora 9 PRO and then found HitFilm... now I see both UI are the same.

What's happening here? I understand now why regular Filmora 9 projects can't be used in 9 PRO, because PRO its HitFilm rebranded!

The icons, flow and everything is the same... You have 5M users and seems to know what are you talking about.

Think I'd go with you, after getting this issue cleared for me.

Can you explain whats happening? Thanks in advance!

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

@gustavoruizbonino

Admittedly, until just now, I thought that Filmora was setting themselves up for a lawsuit... but from Javert’s comments, it appears that Filmora just loves HitFilm so much that they essentially licensed HitFilm from FXHome and gave it a new theme and name. This is basically what Vegas FX is... A reskinned version of HitFilm’s compositing timeline and interface. No matter which of the 3 you get, FXHome wins... I’m sure they’re collecting some VERY nice royalties from the other two companies.

HitFilm’s main advantage is probably going to be the 3rd party plugins... BorisFX, Mocha, Foundry tracker. I’m also not sure if Filmora is able to take advantage of the handful of After Effects plug-ins that HitFilm has access to. 

HitFilm is the original, and so it will likely always have the latest and greatest features and enhancements, plus exclusive items that nobody else gets.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff

@highspeedkiwis @gustavoruizbonino @triforcefx Thanks for your questions! I'm afraid that we can't share more information than what Javert provided in his original comment.

However, though the interfaces may be similar, Filmora Pro and HitFilm Express are still different products so I'd advise that you have a look at their features to see which one you think is best for you  I should let you know that the interface that you show there for HF Express is our dark mode, which is now only available here when downloading: fxhome.com/express/pwyw. The default you'd receive for free is light mode, which you can see in our latest tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/FXhomeHitFilm

HitFilm Express has a larger feature set than Filmora Pro, and we have our new basics masterclass to help you learn the ropes, if you were to try it out: https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express/basics

Hope that helps!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

@highspeedkiwis @gustavoruizbonino @triforcefx I merely note that, while the UIs are similar, and there is communication between teams, a comparison of the respective manuals reveals many differences in capabilities and workflow. As one random example, Filmora has a Crop/Zoom right click option that has a Start and End keyframe. Hitfilm doesn't have a dedicated Crop/Zoom - you'd keyframe position and scale. The Filmora Crop/Zoom is a bit faster to set up, but, ultimately, straight keyframes are more powerful. Filmora has a more robust stabilization feature but no support for 3D models.

For someone debating between the two programs the obvious answer is to download the free/demo of both and play for a few days.