The future of hitfilm particle simulator idea (and others)

CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
My premise for this thread is while i want a puppet tool, and other features included in other ones, i think these ideas will not only allow new things to be generated but allow multiple new things to be generated differently, and these things would set hit film apart from most other programs and make most actions a faster process.
My major ideas here are 
Mouse Keyframing
Variable system
Action/Mode defining
Random (with range inside)
I will be referring to this allot
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/12145121/  This is a project that is kinda famous in the scratch community (15k players) this project is a game is a particle simulator disguised as a discovery game.  Basically press buttons to find different effects inside the game. 
Random
Cmon this should be easy! It would make things really nice if we could use random numbers within a range.  And combined with a mathematical operations system this could really help hit film.   Please consider it!
Action/Mode defining (particle)
Premise
The basic idea is that real particles have different stages in their journey.  For example if you throw a piece of paper it has a period of flying, then it hits a barrier of air, then it drifts slowly down.  Another is a drop of water forms drops then bounces getting smaller each time.  Basically this would allow you to define stages of your particle simulation that have special rules to them.  Furthermore this idea would allow the same particles to preform different tasks.  In my Luminasia project i have a special line that decides the different movements based on the button.  Se how smoothly the particles go from task to task.  I also use it so that i have special movement rules when it hits a wall.
Mouse Key framing
Premise
​Often times i wish i could just use my mouse to design the x and y translations of an object.  I was thinking how easy it would be if you could record your mouse movement and apply it via keyframes.  this would also be nice for times where you know the speed you want something to move even if it isn't a simple equation.
How to apply
​Just have a record button, where the comp goes full screen then have the animation play as close to real time as possible.  When the mouse moves apply keyframes to movements.  Then afterwards the user can go in and delete some keyframes to get the movement they desire.
Variables/programming based system
Premise
I was playing around in the particle simulator trying to create intricate shapes such as a helix.  However i feel like hit film has a programming ability that is not taken advantage of.  My thought process is hit film is keeping allot of data per particle, and this applies to any other key framing idea.  I think what would make Hitfilm supremely revolutionary to any other video maker.  Let me explain the power of what i mean.
Now hit film can't even touch some of the effects that go on in that game.  This is because everything can be a variable, and every variable can be used in an operation.  For example if i wanted 
[attachment=949:Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 8.06.31 PM.png]
[attachment=950:Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 8.15.40 PM.png]
I would have to be able to point each individual particle at their own degree, furthermore particles would have a different amount of time.  Just adding the variable of randomness created this effect.
For this one (yes I've seen the tutorial)
[attachment=951:Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 8.08.00 PM.png]
I am able to create fireworks, however against what the tutorial says in 24 minutes, i was able to make that effect in about 5.  The shortcut here is that i am able to make the particles follow two rules.  One is that the particles go up together, the second is that they can choose their direction and strength randomly.  This allows a nice shape.
Incase you wanted to see the code.
[attachment=952:Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 8.18.55 PM.png]
How to implement
​I dont know how you would incorporate the programming based thing, however the variables is easy! Just create a new tab like the "lifetime" tab and call it variables.  Then have columns where you tell it what object and what aspect of the object to track.  This data is then displayed on a nearby cell and then you give the variable a title.  Then to use it go to a keyframable object then type in the title.  Heres what the forum might look like to make a new variable
New Variable
Name:
Take data from:
Operations:

example filled out
New variable
Name: xpos
Take data from: x position of point 1
Operations: x position of point 1 - y position of point 1

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    In terms of randomising, have you played with the variation controls? What about variation doesn't fulfil what you need?
    And in terms of actions, what aspects of the mobile emitter behaviours don't work for you? 
    I didn't have time to properly get into the scratch project (partly because the UI is MAD), but it looks like it is designed to do some specific things, rather than being a fully customisable particle simulator. Do correct me if I'm wrong on that one, though.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,244 Ambassador
    edited May 2014
    I also note that the fireworks tutorial takes 20 min cuz Axel is talking. Building fireworks from scratch in Hitfilm should also take 5 min.
    Much of the randomization you are thinking of seems, to me, to be covered by movement and appearance variation?
    I'm not familiar with scratch, but, on first read, it seems most of what you want Hitfilm already does except for real-time mouse drawing and variables/expressions. That could be me not knowing scratch, though.
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Scratch is basically programming with blocks. I created a particle simulator base then added bunches of rules to it. The particle simulation is basically creating a new object with its own code just like hitfilm. My issue is that the variation controls aren't able to apply to everything. For example if we wanted a flickering light we could have a regular number then add a random number to it each time. This would hopefully create the randomness. The three things I would love from the list is
    Variables
    Random numbers and equations being able to be placed in key frames
    And mouse recording.
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    With the mobile emitter it kinda works for phase two things however the interface to create them and make them move I find to be hard. Mabye it would be easier if we could have two columns of particle controls.... Or have an extra long tablet we can plug in that would display all controls.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    The random stuff you're talking about, in the context of a compositor, is usually accomplished through expressions, or scripting. We don't have either currently, but they're on the wishlist.