Mics

HeavenThunderHeavenThunder Website User Posts: 46

What would be  a good mic  for doing stuff like just yakking, martial arts demos, or a mix of stuff? Maybe a lav or not-too-bulky headset?

Comments

• Daria91Daria91 Website User Posts: 7

There is a plenty of choice: www.microphonetopgear.com.
    I can’t recommend a certain model since each one has its own peculiarities and nuances in use that may be of priority to you. But all models are top in the microphone market.

• HeavenThunderHeavenThunder Website User Posts: 46

Well, I was thinking of trying the Shura PGA31 Headset mic. But now I'm feeling kinda dumb. Apparently, I also need a "Shura body pack". What are body packs? Do they connect to my computer?

I thought I could just plug my mic into my computer or cam,b but apparently not.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

If you're thinking of going directly into your computers you probably want to search online for "headset mics for computers."
    That Shure headset - probably most Shure headsets - is designed to work with a wireless transmitter ("Body Pack"). It probably WON'T work with your computer since the body pack is going to have the amp circuit in it.

If you're connecting to your computer you'll also want to look for a headset/mic with either the correct USB plug or a 1/8" - 3.5mm plug. That's what your computer will have. That PGA31 headset has a 4-pin DIN connector, which is designed specifically to connect to a transmitter pack.

Let's see if I gt this right. Whatever I say into the PGA31, or whatever I get, goes to the trans, then I can get the audio from the trans onto my computer through an adapter? That's no problem. I'm not concerned with it going directly to my PC. just that it gets there.

Any commendations on a trans or whatever?

Sorry, I'm new to this audio stuff. I never messed with it for a reason.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

Do NOT get that Shure headset. You will need a TRANSMITTER to send audio. You'll need a RECEIVER to get the audio, then you'll have to connect the receiver to your computer. 

If you just want to record on your computer you'll end up spending hundreds more than you need. Unless you are also a filmmaker/event video person who might need a wireless system for shooting you should search online for "headsets for computers.")

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

I might be missing exactly what you need but maybe a Zoom (H1n?) with a lav?
    You can then transfer the audio to your PC. 
    You'd need somewhere to keep the Zoom but they're not huge.

I'll @filmsensei as he may well have done something similar from martial arts or tutorial perspective.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,294 Ambassador

@HeavenThunder Can you be more specific as to exactly what you want to do with the mic? Are you sitting in front of a computer webcam yaking? Are you in a martial arts school recording a demo or lesson? Are you out in the public giving a live presentation that is being recorded?

Okay, here's what I was thinking:

1. I work with a mental health organization and am also a martial arts Sensei. I want to take the organization's lessons and teach them from a martial arts perspective. So, I'll be sitting in my wheelchair, talking to a camera and mix in some demo.

I don't think a lav will work for this because I THINK it'll pick up lots of rustling from my clothing. Dunno, never had one.

2. I do 3D animation sometimes. This is what I wanted the headset for. But I want to be able to use it for other things as well, like little comedy gigs for YouTube.

Ok... A lav will work IF PLACED CORRECTLY. One my the tasks I often get on my field production work is micing up the talent. You just need to decide where to correctly place the mic.

Assuming you're in a gi, pretty much anywhere on the collar just above the front overlap should work.

A headset would work as well, but, for martial arts demos I would usually recommend a lav over a headset because the lav clips on and will be harder to dislodge. I make no assumptions on your mobility, because, in the last dojo I attended, one of our wheelchair students was insanely agile . He'd wheelie back to avoid a strike, then slam himself forward to counter. Visualizing the move in my head, I think he'd lose a headset on that one. Then again, if you're ever the type to pass your mic you others, a headset is easier to shift around.

Since you ARE doing video and computer work, then it IS in your interests to look at a camera-type wireless system. You'd have on a lav or headset attached to the transmitter/bodypack and you'd have a receiver while would then be plugged into your camera. You'll want to check that 1) your camera has an external mic jack, and 2) the type of plug for the mic input on the camera. A reciever might have a typical mini-headphone(1/8", 3.5mm) output or a small, custom 4-pin DIN. If the CAMERA has a round jack with three holes, that's "XLR" and you'll want to get the proper cable. Your camera might also have a 1/8" input. Your computer probably has a 1/8" input for mic as well. So, whatever Transmitter/receiver combo you get, ideally, it's got an 1/8" output from the receiver. Then you just need a single 1/8" male to 1/8" male cable to connect to the computer. If your camera is 1/8" inputs, then you only need the one cable to connect to camera and computer.

There are a lot of options available, both new and used. You can go down a rabbit hole trying to decide what to buy. To preserve our sanity I'll say restrict your searches to Shure, Rode and Audio-Technica brands. All are solid.

I suggest looking for a bodypack transmitter/receiver combination with smaller "bodypack" style receivers. These will be easier to carry in a bag and/or mount on a camera. The receiver should be battery powered for portability. A "Rack-sized" receiver is harder to carry, and probably needs a wall plug.

Ideally you can get a 2-channel receiver. This will enable you to have two mic transmitters go to a singe receiver. This opens you up to future expansion. Maybe you get a second, handheld microphone for Q&A or interview sections?

You can get a good deal on used gear, but you'll want to check the frequency bands used. In the US the FCC keeps selling off frequency bands to cell phone companies that USED to be used by wireless mic systems. I have two complete sets of gear that can no longer be used because of cell phones. Don't buy any (used) mic gear that's operating between 700-800MHZ or between 829-899MHZ. Those are phone frequencies now.

And now that I get all the proper context for the question, yes, that looks like a pretty good headset. Let's just find a good pairing of packs to go with it.

TL/DR: Center your search on "wireless mics for camera." That will give you a good form factor for travel. The proper cable will let you use the system directly with your computer. Don't by any mics where the stated frequency range is between 700-900MHZ. Look for things in the 400-700MHZ bands.

Okay, thanks. I'm gonna hunt me some wascally twans, sssshhhhh....;

What's your budget? I've used the Shure-BLX set you linked above and it's a solid bit of kit.

The "drawback" with both kits you've listed is the rackmount receiver designed to be plugged into the wall. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a little larger in your bag and a little more time to plug in.

On the other hand, something like these kits:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR288W-Battery-Powered-Wireless-Microphone/dp/B00006HO3R

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0888Q5M7V/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSkQ0QklQR0RXVTZCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ3MDk2M0xPUVZFUU83VE5VNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTY1NDAzMlhHTzNIUEFaQk8xMiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2hxcF9zaGFyZWQmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

With the battery powered receiver they are a bit more portable and the receiver could be easily attached to camera mono/tripod (or even hooked the the wrist strap or taped to the camera body) for portable use.

You're right, it is a rabbit hole. Lotta good mics out there.

I have a buddy who just bought this little kit, but I don't think he's used it on a gig yet, so I'm not certain how valid his living room test" is. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1471382-REG/rode_wireless_go_compact_wireless.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz4z3BRCgARIsAES_OVf0dPGRAMpEWk8ZUod_w8nJWBjN1rNTFhsjH95Vv58mK60bUNlX19saAvIIEALw_wcB

Sorry, got a little sick.

I have a few hundred to burn off, but too far over $500 is pushing it a bit. Never hurts to save though.

• romaredromared Website User Posts: 1

what's your budget? any specific requirements apart from basics ?

• itsnickjonesitsnickjones Website User Posts: 1

Well before just recommending any mic model without knowing your budget is hard I think you should read this guide on microphone reviewer blog