Mobile phone footage needs to become landscape. Rotate doesn't fix it. Any fix available?

fxhomer269536fxhomer269536 Website User Posts: 1

I have an MP4 file from a mobile. The correct view is landscape but it imports as portrait so everything looks tipped sideways. When I rotate it I end up with the whole file still being portrait but with black at the top and bottom and the sides of the footage cut off. As rotate doesn't fix it is there another way?

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,196 Moderator
    edited May 5

@fxhomer269536 As it is from a phone and almost a guarantee that it is variable frame rate.  Perhaps transcoding it to a constant frame rate will also correct its orientation on import.  

Starting around 20 minutes (if you watch on Youtube there are time codes in the description for easy access) is the section on transcoding:

Hope this helps you out.

• BarriHytBarriHyt Website User Posts: 5

And what specific software do you use to work with this video?

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,196 Moderator

@BarriHyt There are several that can be used.  Handbrake is covered in the video so is VirtualDub. I believe.  In the description on Youtube the author, Triem23, has posted timecodes to take you to those sections for specific programs.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,308 Ambassador

@BarriHyt I use Handbrake. Here is my quick tutorial on how I do it...

• farawayerfarawayer Website User Posts: 1
    edited May 20

@BarriHyt There are several useful applications in terms of working on a computer. I agree with Handbrake, which FilmSensei previously wrote about is a great option. I, in turn, can say about the entire infrastructure of the Movavi application. I like them, and I have been using them for a long time. Not all of them are free, but, for example, the same https://www.movavi.com/screen-recorder/ has a free version. The restrictions there are not so bad; they can be used with pleasure.